SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tuning (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Sled is running like crap. (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=5256)

Rubi 12-04-2010 01:32 AM

I kind of half-assed checked the needle and seat by spraying carb cleaner through, and then lifting the float. Lifting the float would totally stop the flow of carb cleaner. Also, if the needle and seat leaked, wouldn't that condition quit showing up when you were at running speed? I leave the fuel on overnight, and it starts up just fine. Carb boots are just fine. I just had the reeds out and reinstalled them with no issues.

Sled ran awesome last time it was ridden last April. Smooth running and powerful. No backfiring. A few times last year it did some backfiring while warming up, but the condition would go away.

Can CDI boxes just slowly deteriorate instead of totally going out?

Is it possible to put new plug wires into the coil? I remember some awful automotive problems in my past being totally cured by new plug wires.

OCR 12-04-2010 09:33 AM

Next step would be to use an inline spark detector to see if it is losing spark at any time.

Ibreakstuff 12-04-2010 10:33 AM

Yes you can put new plug wires on, they thread out. You may be able to get away with trimming 1/4 inch and reinstalling like I said in an earlier post.

Madcow 12-04-2010 12:34 PM

you can use new wire but you have to get resistored caps or reuse your caps.

usually if the needle and seat leak, you will have a flooded engine in the morning.

Madcow 12-04-2010 04:30 PM

pull the pipe off, remove the spark plugs, and look down each hole. of course run the piston to the bottom. see if you can see any scoring. for as much powder you play in i wouldnt be suprised if you had intake side scoring from some snow ingestion.

Rubi 12-04-2010 06:14 PM

Maybe a compression test is in order? If compression looks good, I think I'm going with an ignition problem. What's your schedule look like early this week, Madcow? Maybe I should run down to the Pine City proving grounds and have you run some tests? We could look at timing and some other stuff that I can't test. Maybe my TPS is malfunctioning? I know I've had problems with that before. The ignition used to turn off sometimes when the throttle was closed. Maybe it's intermittently causing the ignition to turn off now?

Madcow, I'd consider coming down if we could do a bunch of tests in an afternoon. Gerbil warned me not to leave the sled with you because I might come back and pick up a sled set up for ice drags with 244 ice chisels and a lowrider suspension that would keep me glued to the ground like I was JBwelded.

I've got to get this sucker fixed because my sled fleet is going to be down to ONE as of tomorrow morning. Bye bye RMK, you've been good to me and we've seen some AMAZING snow in the last two seasons.

Ibreakstuff 12-04-2010 07:47 PM

Unless you didn't summerize properly and have a stuck ring, I'd say no.

Madcow 12-04-2010 08:10 PM

next week is fine, just let me know what day. and i will work around it.
we can do a timing test. compression test, visual inspection. and other things.

yes, i have a box of 244 brand new chisels no joke. a little over 1/2" penetration on the speed track!! if you ever want to make a sled fast, 9811 track is the way to go!!

Madcow 12-04-2010 08:39 PM

drain the tank out dry, and put a couple gallons of new gas in. i doubt thats it but its an easy fix that has tossed me for loups before.

Powersledder 12-04-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi (Post 107640)
Maybe a compression test is in order? If compression looks good, I think I'm going with an ignition problem. What's your schedule look like early this week, Madcow? Maybe I should run down to the Pine City proving grounds and have you run some tests? We could look at timing and some other stuff that I can't test. Maybe my TPS is malfunctioning? I know I've had problems with that before. The ignition used to turn off sometimes when the throttle was closed. Maybe it's intermittently causing the ignition to turn off now?

Madcow, I'd consider coming down if we could do a bunch of tests in an afternoon. Gerbil warned me not to leave the sled with you because I might come back and pick up a sled set up for ice drags with 244 ice chisels and a lowrider suspension that would keep me glued to the ground like I was JBwelded.

I've got to get this sucker fixed because my sled fleet is going to be down to ONE as of tomorrow morning. Bye bye RMK, you've been good to me and we've seen some AMAZING snow in the last two seasons.

Did you end up selling it to Bigrok?

Rubi 12-05-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powersledder (Post 107658)
Did you end up selling it to Bigrok?

No, I sold it to some guy from Warroad. Bigrok was starting to waffle and think about buying a quad instead.

Dangit! Baller has been riding like crazy this weekend and I don't have a sled that runs decent. Gerbil hasn't been riding either though, and he does have a working sled. We did all tear around on Gerbil's sled Saturday night around midnight. It's pretty deep in Gerbil's yard, but not enough for carving. Gerbs tried to carve and almost smashed into the rock garden and clothesline. I tried to carve my RMK in my yard because there was ice on the bottoms of my skis and I couldn't steer. The carve didn't work too well and I ended up running over a pile of brand new steel soffit and fascia I had stacked against my garage. So the season is starting off slowly but the usual shenanigans are already apparent. I like to kick off my sledding season on December 12th anyway. This is just too early.

Gotmud 12-06-2010 07:14 AM

Dakum you sold your rmk too? What are you eyeballing?

Rubi 12-06-2010 11:48 AM

Compression is exactly 120 PSI on both cylinders. Six pulls, cold, with the throttle open.

ZLZEBUB 12-06-2010 12:55 PM

RUBI i didnt want to get into the middle of this since noone think i know anything....but after listening to that vid it sure sounds and seems like one screw in the stator came loose and is poundin round in there....thats why it sputters and shoots some shit out IMO...if black crap comes out of pipes on the ground stick finga in it and see if its metal shavins....see if that piece that came out onto ground is a piece of a screw...you can also unplug the kill switch if u think its the ignition and unplug or bypass the ignition and jump it to see if she runs good....hopefully not stator but u might be able to tell if it is with a spark tester....DONOT use the ice pick kind as it puts tiny holes in plug wires and then water gets in and the same thing happens....maybe if someone used that in the past on it....i had both of these scenarios occur on sleds and each one was super difficult to find the cause when its just one screw....cause then it runs but not to shitty but yet shitty when gas given because then the stator moves a little outta alignment and then at idle moves back to correct spot....CAPEESH? good luck

Madcow 12-06-2010 03:41 PM

find the single black wire, it might have a white stripe. but its a single wire that goes to the recoil connections with all the other connections. unplug it, start the sled. did that change the idle at all?
to shut it off you have to plug that back in or choke it.

Rubi 12-06-2010 04:08 PM

Power valves are clean and functioning. One valve was noticeably more dirty than the other, but they seemed to be functioning fine. Visually, spark is very bright and powerful on both cylinders. I trimmed the wires back a quarter of an inch. While checking spark, it started up on one cylinder. It almost idled as well on one as it did on two.

Gas is drained out, and I'm in the process of filling up with fresh gas.

Z, nice post. That was easily identified as English- very little Zeezle mixed in. When I was talking about it being an ignition problem, I was referring to the ignition or electrical system in general; not just the ignition switches. The black crap coming out of the exhaust is just flakes of carbon. No metal in it.

Madcow, I'll pull the black wire after I put in the fresh gas.

What does the TPS do? If that is malfunctioning, can it screw up how it runs at all?

Powersledder 12-06-2010 04:18 PM

TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor, it determines what portion of the ignition map the CDI uses. So yes, it if is malfunctioning your sled may do all sorts of goofy things.

Rubi 12-06-2010 05:21 PM

Fresh gas made the sled run slightly better, but not much. I noticed a few more things: the sled doesn't run well at high RPM, it runs well between 5,000 and 6,500 RPM, at 7,000 it's struggling again, if you let it drop to 4,000 RPM and roll back into the throttle it misfires and struggles until it gets above 5,000, coming off idle it loads up and bogs, it still backfires at idle especially if you've had it at higher RPM and then let it drop back to idle.

Unplugging the black and white wire does nothing except make the ignition switches inoperable.

rock2324 12-06-2010 05:38 PM

Power valves stuck or broken?

Rubi 12-06-2010 05:43 PM

Just checked the valves. They are fine. Since it seems to be RPM specific, I'm leaning toward a faulty CDI or TPS sensor, but what do I know?

Madcow 12-06-2010 05:51 PM

do you have a tps? unplug that and try it.

i you can call a dealer, ask them for the color codes and ohm checks for a stator. if one dealer wont give it to you call another,
heck call mies outland, ask for mark or fred, ask them for the ohm specs.

i wonder if something on the flywheel/stator? a timing light might be able to see whats going on?

i have put in a couple stators so it wouldnt be a big shock. just not that common.

Rubi 12-06-2010 05:57 PM

Unplug the TPS off of the carbs? Will it still run? If the stator is bad, why would it run smooth from 5K to 6.5K RPM?

Madcow 12-06-2010 07:46 PM

with the tps unplugged it advances timing to a drag type setting.
to say it has good and bad spots in the throttle range makes you want to think tps.
but who knows.

i dont understand the glitches in stators. i had one go bad, the only reason i was able to find it was that i had egt guages. at idle all 3 were the same, punch it and they all would climb in temps. then the sled would still be running smooth, just get lazy, look down and one cylinder would be cold. stop the sled and let it idle and the dead cylinder would come back to life.

Rubi 12-06-2010 08:32 PM

With the TPS unplugged, it runs quite a bit better. Idles smooth with no backfiring, but the RPM is a little erratic. Still bogs a bit off of idle. Very smooth running at 5 to 6.5K RPM. Around 7K it isn't very smooth and seems to be struggling. Sucker is really smoky!

Powersledder 12-06-2010 08:36 PM

Look up polarisrich's thread for re setting and testing your tps