SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Ski-Doo General Discussion (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2009 Ski-Doo Summit 800X 163 (OSM Sled review) (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=2030)

PolarisRich 09-22-2008 02:03 PM

2009 Ski-Doo Summit 800X 163 (OSM Sled review)
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just some good reading from the OSM!

2009 Ski-Doo Summit 800X 163
Attachment 4672

If you’re looking for the ultimate mountain climber, look no further than the 2009 Ski-Doo 800X 163. Featuring what feels like a steroid-induced 800R PowerTEK engine, this snowmobile had tons of power to climb the highest of mountains. More times than not, what will keep you from highmarking will be running out of nerve rather than running out of power. With the REV-XP lightweight racing seat, cornering and standing is easy and comfortable. The 800X comes with what Ski-Doo calls a low windshield. Let’s just say ‘low’ is an understatement. We think you’ll be happier ordering a mid-size one. Floatation is made available by the16-inch wide PowerdeMax track with 2.25 inch lugs that hook up like nobody’s business. Up front are a pair of wide-body Pilot 6.9 skis, which have a short, deep centre keel to reduce steering effort, while still being buoyant on the snow.
Ski-Doo’s Summit R&D guru Chris Ruske led the OSM test team to untouched areas in the Colorado Mountains that were free of any tracks. Very cool. After watching him ride the 800X, some figured manoeuvring the sled up the mountain would be a piece of cake. However, we were to learn there was a lot of body English needed when going vertical on this buggy. While it’s not heavy by any means, it is long. Boondocking was a chore, especially when whipping around trees although this sled was fast, smooth, and had plenty of power.


The new gauge is nothing short of awesome, featuring a sharply-styled analog speedometer and tachometer, complemented with a multi-function three-zone LCD screen. Each zone has a selection of data points to display, which can be changed via the handlebar control. Overall, the sled looks as cool as it rides. Need to get up the hills without worrying about lack of power? Check out the 800X 163.

Engine
800R PowerTEK

Drive Clutch
TRA VII

Driven Clutch
QRS

Brake
Brembo Hydraulic

Ft Suspension
Dual A-arms, 9 inches of travel

Rear Suspension
SC-5M, 16 inches of travel

Ft Shocks
Kayaba HPG, T-A aluminum

Rear & Centre Shock
Kayaba HPG T-A aluminum

Dry Weight
434 lb

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 02:09 PM

Awesome sled but don't think it can keep you out of trouble. A guy I rode with in Cooke had the 800 Rev XP 163" with the 16" wide track and I can't count how many times he was stuck. I highmarked him on my M6 153" LOL. In the right hands I bet this sled would be dangerous... but don't think you'll get out and be Chris Burandt with it.

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40869)
Awesome sled but don't think it can keep you out of trouble. A guy I rode with in Cooke had the 800 Rev XP 163" with the 16" wide track and I can't count how many times he was stuck. I highmarked him on my M6 153" LOL. In the right hands I bet this sled would be dangerous... but don't think you'll get out and be Chris Burandt with it.

I disagree, last years model XP held up fairly well to the thrashing Jason gave it. Of course, like all models, dealer prep makes a world of difference and his was gone thru before he ever took delivery and had clutch setup corrected for his weight and riding area. Belts were replaced with upgraded model, driveshaft was replaced with upgrade, flash upgrade was done, other mods that dealer routinely does for his clients.

Jason did have some problems with body panels and seat as a result of the pounding he put sled thru, but I'm not sure any sled would have been any different.

Doo has a winning setup in this platform if it's setup right. Only longterm exposure on the snow will tell how it holds up for the longhaul.

BTW, Jason's new XP snowcheck is in waiting to be picked up. He liked it well enough to drop down the 10k+ for another new one.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 40897)
I disagree, last years model XP held up fairly well to the thrashing Jason gave it. Of course, like all models, dealer prep makes a world of difference and his was gone thru before he ever took delivery and had clutch setup corrected for his weight and riding area. Belts were replaced with upgraded model, driveshaft was replaced with upgrade, flash upgrade was done, other mods that dealer routinely does for his clients.

Jason did have some problems with body panels and seat as a result of the pounding he put sled thru, but I'm not sure any sled would have been any different.

Doo has a winning setup in this platform if it's setup right. Only longterm exposure on the snow will tell how it holds up for the longhaul.

BTW, Jason's new XP snowcheck is in waiting to be picked up. He liked it well enough to drop down the 10k+ for another new one.

I don't get what you disagreed with? I never said the sled was bad... just that he got stuck a lot. I even said it could be dangerous in the right hands. Maybe Jason had those hands. ???

Dirty_Harry 09-22-2008 04:19 PM

Damn only 434 lbs, thats pretty light. What kind of power does it have? Wasnt it like 152 horse or something?

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40869)
Awesome sled but don't think it can keep you out of trouble.
In the right hands I bet this sled would be dangerous... but don't think you'll get out and be Chris Burandt with it.

That's the part I disagreed with


Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40913)
I don't get what you disagreed with? I never said the sled was bad... just that he got stuck a lot. I even said it could be dangerous in the right hands. Maybe Jason had those hands. ???

See 1st comment. And while he did get stuck a few times, it handled most conditions well. Understand Cuzz, I ride Polaris, not interested in running out to jump on the XP bandwagon. But I know it's a capable, reliable sled in the right hands.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry (Post 40924)
Damn only 434 lbs, thats pretty light. What kind of power does it have? Wasnt it like 152 horse or something?

It's light as a feather till it gets stuck. Then like anything else, it's a pig. Unsure on HP and too busy today to confirm. I think Doo claimed a bit more than 152, not sure though.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 40941)
That's the part I disagreed with

Maybe I should have added "without some experience"....

All I am saying is people see under 450lbs, over 150hp, and 163" x 16" track and will think it is invincible.

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40943)
Maybe I should have added "without some experience"....

All I am saying is people see under 450lbs, over 150hp, and 163" x 16" track and will think it is invincible.

I'll agree with that part of it. Evidence can be found at any Ski-Doo dealership in the west. Stacks upon stacks of new XP's waiting to be picked up. I think local dealer here in Gillette told me they have 85 new ones total coming in.

I know Mountain Air Power (Ski-Doo dealer out of Evanston, WY. Near Kemmerer) ordered well over 100 new units for this season. It is a hot seller. Should be a lot of them on the mountains this season.

I should add that even though I'm defending it, I hated riding this sled. It felt heavy and awkward to me. Probably due to the "rider-forward" position Ski-Doo has gone to. More seat time on it might have changed those feelings. But it's kind of like riding an AC, you don't want people to see you on it close-up...........lol. :stirpot: :stirpot:

Dirty_Harry 09-22-2008 05:02 PM

I really like the blue and white colors vs the other colors.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 40950)
I should add that even though I'm defending it, I hated riding this sled. It felt heavy and awkward to me. Probably due to the "rider-forward" position Ski-Doo has gone to. More seat time on it might have changed those feelings. But it's kind of like riding an AC, you don't want people to see you on it close-up...........lol. :stirpot: :stirpot:


I think every sled that is new to you feels somewhat awkward. I rode the Nytro MTX and had a tough time getting it over on its side. I wasn't comfortable on it at all and honestly didn't like it. I'd almost say I didn't like it enough to rather sit in the cabin then ride but that would be insane. LOL.

I think the Pooplaris and the M's have a similar ride. A lot of people don't say the M chassis is the best boondocking and mountain chassis for no reason. I haven't tried a new RMK except for in the UP for a short distance. I joke around a lot but in all honesty... if I had to pick a mountain sled other than Arctic Cat it would probably be the RMK. :bang:

I am really looking forward to trying my new Power Claw track out. Supposedly it makes a HUGE difference. I still might do clutching but need to learn more and figure out what is best. I don't want to spend all sorts of money this season for a setup for out west and another for the UP.

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40959)
I think every sled that is new to you feels somewhat awkward. I rode the Nytro MTX and had a tough time getting it over on its side. I wasn't comfortable on it at all and honestly didn't like it. I'd almost say I didn't like it enough to rather sit in the cabin then ride but that would be insane. LOL.

I think the Pooplaris and the M's have a similar ride. A lot of people don't say the M chassis is the best boondocking and mountain chassis for no reason. I haven't tried a new RMK except for in the UP for a short distance. I joke around a lot but in all honesty... if I had to pick a mountain sled other than Arctic Cat it would probably be the RMK. :bang:

I am really looking forward to trying my new Power Claw track out. Supposedly it makes a HUGE difference. I still might do clutching but need to learn more and figure out what is best. I don't want to spend all sorts of money this season for a setup for out west and another for the UP.

The newer RMK is another "Fun" sled to ride. Much easier to carve with than the Edge Chassis is. I rode a rental for 2 full days and really liked it.

As for the Nytro, I haven't rode it enough to decide. The little seat time I got felt like a stronger, heavier version of the Phazer. If I decide to go with the deal that was presented to me this past weekend, I'll let you know how it rides. 13K for a brand new, 2008 MPI Stage 1 supercharged Nytro MTX with full factory warranty. Dealer has unsold stock he's trying to get rid of. Really tempting deal.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 40961)
The newer RMK is another "Fun" sled to ride. Much easier to carve with than the Edge Chassis is. I rode a rental for 2 full days and really liked it.

As for the Nytro, I haven't rode it enough to decide. The little seat time I got felt like a stronger, heavier version of the Phazer. If I decide to go with the deal that was presented to me this past weekend, I'll let you know how it rides. 13K for a brand new, 2008 MPI Stage 1 supercharged Nytro MTX with full factory warranty. Dealer has unsold stock he's trying to get rid of. Really tempting deal.

Add boost to a Nytro and what I said doesn't matter LOL. Is it that one that was stretched to a 162"?

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 05:44 PM

Oh yeah ..... only thing is, it's a Maverick track. I'd prefer the Challenger or C. Extreme on it.

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic for a second.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 40965)
Oh yeah ..... only thing is, it's a Maverick track. I'd prefer the Challenger or C. Extreme on it.

Anyway, sorry to go off-topic for a second.

That sled is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. You can take off the Challenger and pick up a Power Claw. I bet you can still get a good deal on one. It is supposed to be the track to have <fingers crossed>.

Vertical_Escape 09-22-2008 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 40988)
That sled is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. You can take off the Challenger and pick up a Power Claw. I bet you can still get a good deal on one. It is supposed to be the track to have <fingers crossed>.

I'll agree on the sled, it is nice, especially blown. I'd stick with the Challenger thank you very much. It's a proven performer already, the P.Claw is relatively new and it's yet to be seen how it works and holds up. My challenger has been thru rocks, timber, and shitty trails without a problem, I'll stick with what works.

cuzzinolaf 09-22-2008 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vertical_Escape (Post 41005)
I'll agree on the sled, it is nice, especially blown. I'd stick with the Challenger thank you very much. It's a proven performer already, the P.Claw is relatively new and it's yet to be seen how it works and holds up. My challenger has been thru rocks, timber, and shitty trails without a problem, I'll stick with what works.

I have a Challenger on my M8. Good track but the reviews just seem to good to pass up the P. Claw. I hope everyone is right.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 Slednutz.com