SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile How-To's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How to start a flooded snowmobile engine. (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=2042)

PolarisRich 09-22-2008 08:26 PM

How to start a flooded snowmobile engine.

Ordinarily, when any engine floods, you have to wait for the gasoline to evaporate before you can start the motor, and with a snowmobile, you won't always have the luxury of waiting somewhere warm.. However, there's an easy trick to start a snowmobile even with a flooded engine.

1. Make sure that the kill-switch is depressed. You don't want the engine starting while you're tinkering with it.
2. Open the hood of the sled and locate the spark plug. It's location may vary slightly in each model. If you can't find it or don't know what a spark plug looks like, reference the user's manual.
3. Remove the spark plug with the spark plug wrench and clean the gas off of it with a rag. If you don't have a rag, a shirt sleeve will do.
4. With the spark plug removed, pull the starter-chord a few times to turn the engine and clear the excess gas out.
5. Replace the spark plug and close the hood. The snowmobile should be ready to start.

This is usually common knowledge to anyone who has ever owned a triple.:stirpot:

MX86 09-22-2008 09:07 PM

also if you put your finger over the spark plug hole it helps to blow out the gas

ACEXCR 09-23-2008 09:02 AM

Some engines also have drain bolts in the case to get the gas out of the lower end.

MX86 09-23-2008 09:18 AM

how would you get to it? unless there would be a hole in the belly pan?

Ibreakstuff 09-23-2008 09:38 AM

You can reach them, they're right under the exhaust ports usually.

OCR 09-23-2008 09:49 AM

I usually just set the plugs back over the holes and burn it off.

Madcow 09-25-2008 06:08 PM

I pull the plugs, heat them with a torch, then put the flame into the cylinder, it either pops out the pipe or the plug hole!! but either way the engine is clean.

Kevin Garceau 10-06-2008 06:19 PM

hmmm....still got my original plugs in at 2800 miles, guess I should take a look at my original belt too :)

Although anyone that has seen an Apex will hope like hell they never have a plug go out on the trail. You will be in trouble, especially if you never did them before.

Powersledder 10-06-2008 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Garceau (Post 44122)
hmmm....still got my original plugs in at 2800 miles, guess I should take a look at my original belt too :)

Although anyone that has seen an Apex will hope like hell they never have a plug go out on the trail. You will be in trouble, especially if you never did them before.

My belt was just starting to glaze over at 3500mi last year so I decided I had better change it.

And its kinda nice that it only takes a few seconds to change plugs on my sled, instead of a few hours:stirpot:

mach1 10-06-2008 07:20 PM

whats the weight on one of thoses 4-strokes anyway.

Powersledder 10-06-2008 07:28 PM

One metric shitload

Kevin Garceau 10-07-2008 08:20 AM

5 lbs heavier than the 800XCR.....or so IBS stated last year. Dont feel bad it only outruns the old Machs considerably and gets twice the gas mileage on 87 octane :)

Funny weight always comes up with the Yammis.....but my wife laughs at all you guys that say they are too heavy. Then again I sure wouldnt mess with her.

Actually once you learn how to change the plugs it can be done in about 5 minutes. However.....who has to change plugs on the trail with one? I know of one person, but that was there fault, according to him.

Personally when I flooded my two strokes I drained and pulled the plugs. Generally didnt happen too often though, I dont ever remember changing plugs on my XC700, now the XLT was a little different story. But that was only after being inside the carbs a few times and making adjustments.

Rubi 10-07-2008 12:33 PM

When a sled flips upside down and runs until it dies is it flooded then? That's when I have problems with hard starts and some of these techniques help.

Powersledder 10-07-2008 12:36 PM

No, your carb bowls are just empty then

Rubi 10-07-2008 12:38 PM

Hmmm... where does all the gas in the carb bowls go? There's enough gas in the bowls to run the sled for longer than it usually runs when it's flipped over.

Powersledder 10-07-2008 12:46 PM

The gas is gravity fed from the tank, to the pump, to the carbs. When you flip it upside down the effect of gravity is reversed and the pump cannot supply enough gas to keep the carb bowls full so your sled dies.

Same reason why serious rock crawlers run EFI instead of carb, on the steep slopes the carbs cant supply enough fuel.

MX86 10-07-2008 12:48 PM

drains out the vents normally

Shiftnutz 10-25-2008 11:51 PM

On my ultra and xlt i pull out the plugs plug them back into the cap and sit them kind of in the cylinder and pull it a few times, it works..

FrankieJames7 12-27-2014 06:38 AM

disconnect the fuel pump from the crankcase and crank on it for a little while and it shouldn't be flooded anymore.