SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tuning (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   need help (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=2728)

Gao 01-08-2009 09:38 PM

need help

I bought some racing pipes made by team fast to go on my 96 skidoo formula III. I have already had 2 people look at this sled and do the work both were confident they could get it to run but all i have done was basically give money away. I have also tried to contact TEAM FAST with them not helping me out at all. I have had some carb work done and had the different jets put in. 400 on the outer cylinders and 390 in the middle cylinder. The sled when you start it will idle fine when cold but when you try and move it it doesnt move until it gets warmed up. but then when it is warm doesnt have any low end power. i am not looking to race the sled. just want something with some nice sound and more power. can i do this without having to upgrade with bigger carbs or putting new weights or a spring in the clutch? I need help. I want to get this sled running good without having to do all that work. PLEASE HELP.

Ibreakstuff 01-08-2009 10:49 PM

When you say it doesn't move, do you mean it has no power?
Kind of sounds like you're running very lean. What do your plugs look like? Do you know how to check piston wash?

Madcow 01-08-2009 10:51 PM

st michael minnesota? I am not that far!!lol

could be that you have a weak or broken primary spring? bigger carbs will make the bottom end worse?
what rpm is the clutch engaging at? a piped 600 should be around 4500-5000 at the lowest.

you have a ski doo tra, you have some adjustments on the primary to help dial in the clutching. I think the lower number has higher engagement and shift rpm? turn the bolts to position 1 and try it, then do it on 5, there should be a change, if no change at all then we might need to look at the clutching closer.

what if you have the rear on a stand so the track is off the ground?

on the stand, you punch it and hold it open, if the sled bogggggggs then POPS and takes off, you are lean on the pilot jets,

Gao 01-10-2009 07:18 PM

it is at 4 now. what way would i need to go to make it rev up higher before it engages? it goes up to 6. so maybe i should go to 1 huh?? i will try that tomorrow. i just hate driving it right now cause it is soooo dang loud. lol.... im sure the neighbors hate it...

Madcow 01-10-2009 08:20 PM

turn the adjusters to a lower number should raise the engagement and wide open rpm.

I am about 2 hours from you and have good snow if you want to come over and see what we can do. I am cheap.

Gao 01-10-2009 09:45 PM

i will try that tomorrow. you think if i go all the way to 1 it will be too low??? i would come out there. but one bad thing. i dont have a truck or a trailor... i know pretty bad when i have a sled huh??

Madcow 01-10-2009 11:31 PM

no from what i am understanding is that number 1 should raise all the rpms? just turn it to one and see what it does compared to number 6.

Gao 01-10-2009 11:40 PM

ok. will do. i also took out the plugs today. this is after only letting it warm up and then taking it around the yard once and then parking it in the garage but the plugs were wet and where they sit against the motor was wet too. kinda a blackish color. also. when the sled is idling it is making the snow black and it is dripping crap.

Madcow 01-10-2009 11:59 PM

ah, ok, sounds like a choke is sticking or out of adjustment? or the carbs are out of sync? if you can get the air box off, with the sled not running feel two carb slides at the same time, see that they start to move at the same time, then check the center carb and the other carb.

go to the how to section and read "syncing carbs"

is any 1 plug that much more black than another?

does the engine fill with gas overnight?

Gao 01-11-2009 01:24 PM

here is what i did. i was told to change the settings on the cluctch and see what would happen. i put them both on 1 and on 6. didnt seem to do too much difference. i put it on a stand and noticed that all the power seems to be at high end. around 6 grand. does this mean i have to do clutch work? when i took it out it didnt seem to want to go above 50 but the rpms were all under 6 k. when i was also messing with the settings on the clutch i dropped one of the washers in it..... I bet this could cause a problem??????

flatlander_summit 01-27-2009 12:41 PM

The TRA clickers (bolt with the arrow and the marks from 1-6) is for top end rpms. I believe that for every notch you move it's 200 rpm on the top end +/- depending on the direction you move it. I was also told that you can only move those in one direction to go +/-. It has been about 3 years since really messing with a Doo clutch this year. I'm taking my sled to a former race team rider and mechanic this week. I'll talk with him about the clickers on the TRA and relay that information to you.

I do however, think that you're going to be needing to change your spring on your sled to change your engagement rpms.

Madcow 01-27-2009 03:15 PM

sounds like there might be several things.

first your top end rpms should be atleast 8300 area. check the primary spring that its not broke,