SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Sit-Downs (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Thought I'd share (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=2876)

600sx-REX 01-25-2009 10:14 PM

Thought I'd share

This is what I devote most of my time and energy to. Hopefully the sled can get a little more attention as I am almost done with this project.

Picture of the engine when I was installing the Riva Stage 1 kit back in 2005. Ski was consistent 67mph boat stock after this was 71mph consistently.

Air intake component of the Stage 1 kit.

Riva intake grate and rideplate bolt holes filled in.

OPAS fin blockoffs.

In 2007 I went to a custom stage 2 kit. Results were on par with the Riva stage 2 kit but for a lot less $$$. Note the large external intercooler at the rear of the ski.

This is the vortech supercharger I was running with the stage 2. Not much improvement over stock as far as top end is concerned, just a little better acceleration throughout the RPM range.

In 2008 I ditched the stock exhaust system. Shortened the j-pipe and went to an aftermarket waterbox.

Added a rear air intake for the supercharger versus the other one that wrapped around the engine.

Added a catch can for blow-by.

Larger fuel injectors because I went with a better supercharger (which I do not have pictures of. These are rated at 42# versus the stock 38#.

Replaced the old OPAS blockoffs with longer ones to further reduce porposing.

And here is the ski as it currently is. Consistent 76mph top speed. 9mph improvement from stock with acceleration throughout the RPM range GREATLY improved.

This year I plan on doing some throttle body work, improving the efficiency of the intercooler, and possibly doing some work around the pump. Year after I'd like to do one more supercharger upgrade in hopes of hitting 80mph on a stock ECU, which is rare with these skis.

Dirty_Harry 01-25-2009 10:18 PM

Looks amazing. I bet my fishing boat with electric motor would take it though!

600sx-REX 01-25-2009 10:19 PM

Just want to add......completely stock the motor is about 200HP. Now I suspect am right around 240HP. It's a 1494cc 3 banger.

Madcow 01-25-2009 10:19 PM

240 hp but with good midrange throttle response that would make one heck of a good sled engine!!

Polaris_800rmk 01-25-2009 10:20 PM

Do you do this kind of work to your sled? That is one nice looking machine there.

Ibreakstuff 01-25-2009 10:20 PM

Where at in Michigan are you?

Did you swap out your washers?

Dirty_Harry 01-25-2009 10:20 PM

Triples for the win!

Dirty_Harry 01-25-2009 10:21 PM

He is in Saginaw IBS! :mr:

When do you get back to town 600? I havent meet to many people around here and we should get together.

600sx-REX 01-25-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Madcow (Post 64502)
240 hp but with good midrange throttle response that would make one heck of a good sled engine!!

It's been done believe it or not! As a mountain sled too! I'll see if I can find some pictures of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polaris_800rmk (Post 64503)
Do you do this kind of work to your sled? That is one nice looking machine there.

I'd like to start. I got into this platform about 3 years ago and absolutely love it! I'd like to expand my horizons and get into the sled world a little more. Working on things like this is a lot of fun for me and the more knowledge I can absorb the better.

600sx-REX 01-25-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff (Post 64504)
Where at in Michigan are you?

Did you swap out your washers?

I'm from Saginaw but live in East Lansing while I'm attending classes at Michigan State. And yes the ceramic washers have been swapped out!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry (Post 64506)
He is in Saginaw IBS! :mr:

When do you get back to town 600? I havent meet to many people around here and we should get together.

I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'll shoot you a PM when I come back for a weekend and we can meet up. Name is Rex by the way.

Dirty_Harry 01-25-2009 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600sx-REX (Post 64511)
I'm from Saginaw but live in East Lansing while I'm attending classes at Michigan State. And yes the ceramic washers have been swapped out!

I'm not sure when I'll be back. I'll shoot you a PM when I come back for a weekend and we can meet up. Name is Rex by the way.

Its Jason here! We need to go out and ride. I have lost all my riding buddies besides mud.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 01:11 AM

Well that's no good. I'll get at ya next time I'm in town.

cuzzinolaf 01-27-2009 08:52 AM

Sitdown to pee. :olaf"

:stirpot:

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 08:58 AM

And you ride a snowmobile?! LOL! :stirpot:

cuzzinolaf 01-27-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600sx-REX (Post 65000)
And you ride a snowmobile?! LOL! :stirpot:

I do. I have a really tricked out Yamaha Bravo. I meant on the water.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 04:37 PM

I'm messing with you.

I just think it's funny how stand-up riders get a hard on whenever they get a chance to rip on sit down riders. And here we are riding snowmobiles, pretty much the exact same setup as a sit down. People say sit down riders only go fast in straight lines, but last time I checked the only extreme snowmobile stuff going on is on the freestyle and snocross course. Other than that it's what stand up riders would classify as well..."going fast in straight lines". To me stand up riders are like ricers. They couldn't afford anything better so they talk shit to make themselves feel better about what they drive. How's that for stirring the pot? :stirpot: LOL! Like I said, I'm just poking back. It's all in fun. As long is everyone is out having fun on whatever they enjoy riding/driving we're all on good terms! :woot:

Dirty_Harry 01-27-2009 04:39 PM

You and I are going to be good friends lol.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 04:40 PM

With an avatar like that I'm a little concerned. LOL

Dirty_Harry 01-27-2009 04:42 PM

You should be!

cuzzinolaf 01-27-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600sx-REX (Post 65232)
I'm messing with you.

I just think it's funny how stand-up riders get a hard on whenever they get a chance to rip on sit down riders. And here we are riding snowmobiles, pretty much the exact same setup as a sit down. People say sit down riders only go fast in straight lines, but last time I checked the only extreme snowmobile stuff going on is on the freestyle and snocross course. Other than that it's what stand up riders would classify as well..."going fast in straight lines". To me stand up riders are like ricers. They couldn't afford anything better so they talk shit to make themselves feel better about what they drive. How's that for stirring the pot? :stirpot: LOL! Like I said, I'm just poking back. It's all in fun. As long is everyone is out having fun on whatever they enjoy riding/driving we're all on good terms! :woot:

You don't have to repeatedly tell me you're messing with me. I can take it.

Have you ridden a standup that was properly setup? I rode sitdowns for a year or two before getting tired of them. I lived near the ocean and got to ride the waves which was a lot of fun... but still got boring.

And as far as cost goes for Stand Ups. Mine is a 1996 Round Nose SJ that is easily worth $5k. I have friends with stand-ups worth $10k plus. I don't think the cost of the sitdown is a factor. I bought a 2004 Kawasaki STX-R brand new back then for almost $10k out the door.

And just so you know. Sitdowns are to Trail Riding as Stand-ups are to off-trail/mountain riding.

Chew on that for a while.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 65262)
And as far as cost goes for Stand Ups. Mine is a 1996 Round Nose SJ that is easily worth $5k. I have friends with stand-ups worth $10k plus. I don't think the cost of the sitdown is a factor. I bought a 2004 Kawasaki STX-R brand new back then for almost $10k out the door.

And just so you know. Sitdowns are to Trail Riding as Stand-ups are to off-trail/mountain riding.

Chew on that for a while.

Congrats! Overpriced ricers! LOL What do you have in them that costs that much? I thought 2 smokers were cheap? How much wrench time do you have to put in per hour of ride time at $10K invested in a standup? You guys running CF hulls? And you got ripped off on that STXR. I have $10K total in my RXP now and bought it brand new. Also a 2004 model year. Want to race? LOL

Hmm. That's funny. Because all I ever hear the stand-up riders brag about is how they can do all sorts of tricks with their SJ's and crap. You guys attempt backflips and barrel rolls on your sleds? I'd hate to have 500lbs of massive come tumbling down on me. Now I can see catching some good air off hills, but tricks? Damn. Or maybe the stand-up guys are so full of shit that it's spewing out of every orifice in their body when they talk about their "tricks". I can carve like a crazy bitch on my ski, jump waves, sub it, 180's, 360's. So those don't impress me on stand-ups. I will stick to my guns that a snowmobile is much more comparable to a sit down than a stand up for most riders. Maybe even less. When was the last time a snowmobile took a 90* turn at 70mph into and through it?

I like to reinforce the fact that I'm messing with you because I'm relatively new here and don't want to be pissing people off and crossing the line. More friends, less enemies. I'm done with this though since I don't want to argue. Wasn't my intention with this thread.

cuzzinolaf 01-27-2009 06:51 PM

Overpriced ricer, LOL. Come ride mine and we’ll see who the ricer is. I bet you couldn’t do a figure 8 turn going more than 10 mph on it.

Here is what I have in mine.

1996 SJ w/ Factory B Pipe, MSD Enhancer, Dual 44s, R&D Manifold, ADA Girdled Head with 160lbs of compression and Wiseco Pistons, Ported Exhaust Manifold, Dual cooling, Lightened flywheel, UMI –2 Aluminum Handle Pole, 24/7 Carbon Fiber Chin Pad, UMI Limiting Rope, R&D Extended Ride Plate & Worx Ride Plate, R&D Intake Grate, Tubbies, UMI Steering, UMI 0 Degree bars with ODI grips, UMI Throttle, UMI gas cap, 12/17 Solas Prop, Reinforced hull, Wamilton Foot Holds, re-foamed and sealed, Hydro-Turfed, Dual Bilges with handle bar switch.

Two smokers are cheap but nice stand ups are not. Wrench time? Ummm, besides a stator wire, starter, and handle pole last season… that is it in the last 3 years. It ran great the first year, had those issues the second, and last year I spent more time on the pontoon boat with the girlfriend and only rode it twice. Some guys run CF hulls and have boats with over $25k into them. A few friends of mine have 140hp + stand-ups. Do the power to weight ratio on that.

You’re right on the price of the STX-R. I bought it for $7,800 or a grand total of $9k with tax, etc. Still, that fails to meet your ricer standard. Do I want to race? I sold it a while back because it was too damn boring. I did GPS it at 67mph with the way I set it up, STOCK engine.

No, I don’t attempt backflips or barrel rolls on my sled. I don’t think a barrel roll was ever accomplished on a sled when they attempted it.

Can you sub your Sit-down and dive 5ft + if you want it? Can you do a nose stab? Can you do any tricks that the average kid couldn’t do after riding the sled for a few hours? A 180 or a 360 isn’t even a trick, LOL. And who cares about taking a 90 degree turn at 70mph on a sled? I can do a 180 degree turn on my sled at 20mph in a really small area… and that is enough for me.

No argument at all. I like the fact we can battle back and forth and have no worries. I’d pipe down until you ride a stand-up and see what you’re missing out on.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 65275)
Overpriced ricer, LOL. Come ride mine and we’ll see who the ricer is. I bet you couldn’t do a figure 8 turn going more than 10 mph on it.
LOL! How much $$$ would you like to put on that bet?

Here is what I have in mine.

1996 SJ w/ Factory B Pipe, MSD Enhancer, Dual 44s, R&D Manifold, ADA Girdled Head with 160lbs of compression and Wiseco Pistons, Ported Exhaust Manifold, Dual cooling, Lightened flywheel, UMI –2 Aluminum Handle Pole, 24/7 Carbon Fiber Chin Pad, UMI Limiting Rope, R&D Extended Ride Plate & Worx Ride Plate, R&D Intake Grate, Tubbies, UMI Steering, UMI 0 Degree bars with ODI grips, UMI Throttle, UMI gas cap, 12/17 Solas Prop, Reinforced hull, Wamilton Foot Holds, re-foamed and sealed, Hydro-Turfed, Dual Bilges with handle bar switch.

Two smokers are cheap but nice stand ups are not. Wrench time? Ummm, besides a stator wire, starter, and handle pole last season… that is it in the last 3 years. It ran great the first year, had those issues the second, and last year I spent more time on the pontoon boat with the girlfriend and only rode it twice. Some guys run CF hulls and have boats with over $25k into them. A few friends of mine have 140hp + stand-ups. Do the power to weight ratio on that.
$25K in a ski huh? Congrats! I call that a waste of funds! But to each his own. I guess if we want to play that game you can buy a Macc Racing 15F for $55K. I'd call almost 400HP to less than 600lbs of ski pretty good too. How about 0-60mph in 2.3sec with a top speed of almost 90mph in closed course trim? 0-top speed in 8sec? You want to see a boat that handles check that out! Do I win? Oh and my grandpa has a pocketknife.

You’re right on the price of the STX-R. I bought it for $7,800 or a grand total of $9k with tax, etc. Still, that fails to meet your ricer standard. Do I want to race? I sold it a while back because it was too damn boring. I did GPS it at 67mph with the way I set it up, STOCK engine.
Sweet, had I wanted to go a different route I could have been low 70mph range on a STOCK engine. I hit 67mph without touching a damn thing. LOL

No, I don’t attempt backflips or barrel rolls on my sled. I don’t think a barrel roll was ever accomplished on a sled when they attempted it.
So you do nose stabs and subs with it? Because that would put it inline with a stand-up right?

Can you sub your Sit-down and dive 5ft + if you want it? Can you do a nose stab? Can you do any tricks that the average kid couldn’t do after riding the sled for a few hours? A 180 or a 360 isn’t even a trick, LOL. And who cares about taking a 90 degree turn at 70mph on a sled? I can do a 180 degree turn on my sled at 20mph in a really small area… and that is enough for me.
And what's the point of going 5ft under? I agree a 180 or 360 isn't even a trick, but I think some of your stand-up buddies classify them as tricks. Like I said I don't see you guys pullin sick tricks out of your ass everyday on standups. Do you do them on your sled? Since it's on par with a standup? I mean REALLY? Tell me what EXACTLY puts your sled in line with a standup and above a sitdown? I'm failing to see it!

No argument at all. I like the fact we can battle back and forth and have no worries. I’d pipe down until you ride a stand-up and see what you’re missing out on.
And as usual you stand-up riders have your panties in a bunch. Pipe down? Why are you hot over the subject in the first place? It amazes me how you guys get a hard on over this shit. Every chance you get to dish some BS you do it. That's why you're on the same level as ricers.

cuzzinolaf 01-27-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 600sx-REX (Post 65278)

OH SNAP. Until you own one and ride one you'll NEVER understand. Just like trail riders never can understand the true joys of off-trail and mountain riding.

Continue to ride your jetski that my dead grandmother could ride and I'll continue riding my stand-up that requires actual skill.

600sx-REX 01-27-2009 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 65280)
Continue to ride your jetski that my dead grandmother could ride and I'll continue riding my stand-up that requires actual skill.

If that makes you feel better? I guess?

My grandpa still has a pocketknife.