SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   General Vintage Discussion (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Fan versus liquid vintage (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=3901)

Gotmud 11-18-2009 08:26 PM

Fan versus liquid vintage
 
So for about a year now I've kinda been watching for a good vintage sled to restore. I would probably only grass drag the sled and maybe take to a vintage show. Whatever I'd buy is gonna be a Polaris. What are the differences between fan cooled TX and Liquid cooled TXL vintage sleds? Curious which would outperform the other, and which would hold value better.

CWPottenger 11-18-2009 08:41 PM

TX's are still leaf spring suspensions... TXL's are the 1st "indy style" trailing arm design.

Liquids are historically faster due to improved cooling. TXL's currently are more valuable.

The Centurion is also a very desirable vintage.

the_hog 11-18-2009 08:43 PM

TXL's are leaf springers as well.

Ibreakstuff 11-18-2009 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmud (Post 87724)
So for about a year now I've kinda been watching for a good vintage sled to restore. I would probably only grass drag the sled and maybe take to a vintage show. Whatever I'd buy is gonna be a Polaris. What are the differences between fan cooled TX and Liquid cooled TXL vintage sleds? Curious which would outperform the other, and which would hold value better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPottenger (Post 87726)
TX's are still leaf spring suspensions... TXL's are the 1st "indy style" trailing arm design.

Liquids are historically faster due to improved cooling. TXL's currently are more valuable.

The Centurion is also a very desirable vintage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_hog (Post 87727)
TXL's are leaf springers as well.

The free air TX's were the good ones. The TXL is still better. A 77 TXL has the best porting.

CW - The original TXLs were leafers as well. The TXL-Indy was the intro of the IFS setup.

Gotmud 11-19-2009 06:07 AM

What about sizes. Most of what I see are either TXL or TX 340s. Why don't I see many 440s or anything different. There is a TX 500 triple on ebay I'd love to have but it's already expensive and has a week left.
I'm leaning toward just picking up a TXL340 but I see so many of them I'm not so confident it'll be worth much in 10 years.

Gotmud 11-19-2009 06:24 AM

I've exchanged a few emails with this guy, thinking about going to look at it. He even has a 79 TX340 in the same condition. I'm trying to talk him into a cheaper package deal lol, he isn't buying it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

blue avenger 11-19-2009 06:53 AM

weren't the springer's lighter weight also?

CWPottenger 11-19-2009 07:02 AM

Ah only TXL's I've seen have all been IFS.. Nice to know. My 80 TX-C is light as hell!!

Gotmud 11-19-2009 07:14 AM

Yeah I've looked at alot of 70s TXLs in the past year and none of them are trailing arms.

stagesrt4 11-19-2009 08:42 AM

i have a late 70s john deer liqufier with the the 440 liqued cooled motor

sled has some serious power and can be fun to mess around on.

has the leaf spring style front suspension...

track is picked



id sell it for $400obo(comes with cover)

Gotmud 11-19-2009 11:01 AM

I had one of them a few years ago, very fast machine. Thanks for the offer but I'm only interested in Polaris vintage.

Powersledder 11-19-2009 11:10 AM

If you could get that JD to haydays next year I'm sure Timmy will take it off your hands

stagesrt4 11-19-2009 11:20 AM

haydays an event? well if my buddy wants to upgrade to newer sled we might have to then

Ibreakstuff 11-19-2009 04:37 PM

TXL's only came as 340s. The TX came as a 250, 340, and 440 in later years. 340 was by far the most common.

Gotmud 11-19-2009 07:40 PM

So if I were to stumble upon something rare what would it be?

blue avenger 11-19-2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stagesrt4 (Post 87745)
i have a late 70s john deer liqufier with the the 440 liqued cooled motor

sled has some serious power and can be fun to mess around on.

has the leaf spring style front suspension...

track is picked



id sell it for $400obo(comes with cover)

why ya gotta be so far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 14 hour round trip :bang:

Ibreakstuff 11-20-2009 06:38 AM

An RXL; a 77 TXL; the 75 TX-440's came twin pipes;

stagesrt4 11-20-2009 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue avenger (Post 87846)
why ya gotta be so far away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 14 hour round trip :bang:

ha, win some~lose some

Gotmud 11-20-2009 07:31 PM

Why a 77 txl versus 78?

blue avenger 11-20-2009 09:37 PM

more HP! forget the SN prefix for the hotter moter.

Gotmud 11-20-2009 10:21 PM

Did any txl340s come with twin pipes?

Edit: Ok I've done a little research lol. 77 was the first year of the txl340.

Ibreakstuff 11-21-2009 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmud (Post 87914)
Did any txl340s come with twin pipes?

Edit: Ok I've done a little research lol. 77 was the first year of the txl340.

No, no twins on TXL-340's.

EC34PT-01 is the engine code for the 77 txl. WARNING: A LOT of the heads were stamped with this casting, you need to look at the casting #'s on the engine plate or on the recoil area.

blue avenger 11-21-2009 07:09 PM

RXL was the twin pipe version. when a set floats through they bring $300+

Ibreakstuff 11-21-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue avenger (Post 87936)
RXL was the twin pipe version. when a set floats through they bring $300+


RXL was the race sled that inspired the TXL-Indy. Totally different chassis.

blue avenger 11-21-2009 09:44 PM

my thoughts were on the moter. chassis had not fit in that narrow slow thought stream LOL


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 Slednutz.com