SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile How-To's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   How to Build a TPS tester (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=4044)

PolarisRich 12-16-2009 11:53 PM

How to Build a TPS tester

16 Attachment(s)
This is a tutorial on how I made the homebuilt Polaris TPS tester to test Throttle Position Sensors or (TPS)

These are Radio Shack Parts numbers to assemble a homebuilt Polaris TPS tester.

Attachment 7998
2761770 - $1.49 +5VDC voltage regulator 1amp
Attachment 7995
2700324 - $1.99 9 volt battery connectors (they only come in a pkg. of 5)
Attachment 7996
2701545 - $2.99 Insulated Alligator Clips(come in a pkg. of 6 pairs)
Attachment 7997
2701802 - $2.29 Project Box
Attachment 7994
2300875 - $2.69 9 volt Battery
Attachment 7999
2750712 - $3.99 Lighted SPST Rocker Switch

Total price $15.44

I already had blade connector terminals and wire so didn't price them out but you will need some.

Here they are again incase you want to copy and print so you can have a list when you go to Radio Shack.

2761770 - $1.49 +5VDC voltage regulator 1amp
2700324 - $1.99 9 volt battery connectors (they only come in a pkg. of 5)
2701545 - $2.99 Insulated Alligator Clips(come in a pkg. of 6 pairs)
2701802 - $2.29 Project Box
2300875 - $2.69 9 volt Battery
2750712 - $3.99 Lighted SPST Rocker Switch

Now that you have all the parts it's time to start building, You'll need some basic tools. Drill, 1/2" Spade Bit, 3/16 Drill Bit, Screw driver, soldering iron and a digital multimeter.
Attachment 8000

Attachment 8001
1. Take the Project enclosure box apart and drill a 1/2" hole in the top of the box to hold the lighted switch.
Attachment 8002

2. Insert the switch into the box and tighten.
Attachment 8003
You may have to bend the blade connector terminals to fit the battery.

3. Connect the blade connector terminals to the 9 volt battery connector and crimp on tightly.
Attachment 8004

4. Now take the 1 Red Insulated Alligator Clip and attach it to one end of a red wire that is about 22" long and solder.

5. Now take 2 black (or 1 black and 1 green) Insulated Alligator Clips and solder them to a black wire that is about 22" long. Solder the first Insulated Alligator Clip to one end of the black wire and then connect the second Insulated Alligator Clip to the same wire about 6" down from the first Insulated Alligator Clip and solder together.
They should look something like this...
Attachment 8006

6. Drill a 3/16 hole in the left side of the enclosure box near the top.

7. Pass the two wire leads ( red and black wires) into the the 3/16 hole that you just drilled and tie a knot in the wire about 3-4" back so the wires can't be pulled out accidentally.

Now it's time to start wiring this all together. I may jump around here a bit, but I'll do my best not to!

8. Take the positive (red wire) of the 9 volt battery connector and plug it into the power side of the Lighted SPST Rocker Switch.
Note: The Lighted SPST Rocker Switch has 3 terminals. Load, Power and Ground. They are labled right on the switch itself.

On the +5VDC voltage regulator 1amp there are 3 pins. The pin on the left is the 9V power in. The pin on the right side is the 5V out and the pin in the center is the ground. The electrical wiring diagram should be on the back of the package to hepl clarify the proper pins.
Attachment 7998

9. Take the red lead that has the Insulated Alligator Clip on the end and solder it to the pin on the right side (OUT) of the +5VDC voltage regulator. This is the regulated voltage side that produces 4.9-5.0 Volts

10. We now need a small piece of wire (3") to connect the "Load" terminal on the Rocker Switch to the power (9V IN) on the voltage regulator.
(For my project I used a Yellow wire)
Connect a blade connector terminal to one end of the (yellow) wire and solder the other end of the wire to the left side pin ( 9V IN) on the voltage regulator. Now plug the blade connector from the (yellow) wire into the (LOAD) connection on the Rocker Switch.

11. Now all that is left is to connect all the ground wires.
You will have to make another small jumper wire just like the (yellow) one above but this one will be black. Connect one end of the (Black) jumper wire to the black wire coming from 9 volt battery connector and crimp a blade connector on to it! Plug that end into the Rocker Switch on the (GROUND) connector.
Take the other end of the (Black) jumper wire and twist it to the (Black) wire that is coming into the box with the Insulated Alligator Clip on the end. Now solder the twisted (Black) wires to the middle pin (GROUND) of the voltage regulator.

The Voltage Regulator should look like this..
Attachment 8010

Now all you have to do is install a new 9 Volt Battery and put the cover back onto the project box.

Now the building part is done, it's time to test your work!

Attach your digital multimeter to the leads and set your multimeter to 200 DCV. With the power off you should have a reading of 0 Volts. If anyother voltage is present then there is something wrong!!
Attachment 8007

Turn the Rocker switch on and the switch should light up. Your multimeter should now read somewhere between 4.9-5.0 volts. If the reading is and different than 4.9-5.0 then try a new battery and if the voltage is still different then the Voltage regulator is bad. (1 out of 5 are always bad)
Attachment 8008

Madcow 12-17-2009 06:11 AM

good job! i have a bag of all these parts but the local guy couldnt find a regulator.

Powersledder 01-06-2013 07:26 PM

Think this could explain my top end bog?

Powersledder 01-08-2013 10:15 AM

Anyone else have their TPS voltage off by as much as 0.2 volts?

Rubi 01-08-2013 11:01 AM

Mine was lower than that and it didn't really do anything when I fixed it.