SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tuning (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Skidmark brake issue (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=4357)

Dirty_Harry 02-06-2010 05:53 PM

Skidmark brake issue

The brake havent gone yet, but according to IBS they might at any time. I have in the past forgotten my parking brake was on. Well you figure out the rest. Every time I accelerate, I hear a metallic clanking from my engine. If you twist the secondary you can also hear and visually see the brake pad loose.

I was just hoping one of you skidoo guys could tell me whether I just need a brake key or to replace the whole pad. I have limited internet access, so if you have some questions on symptoms I am sure Bryan can chime in also.

Thanks in advance.

Ibreakstuff 02-06-2010 05:57 PM

Guys, the brake rotor is loose on the jackshaft. Upon acceleration it clanks. The sound is not coming from his engine as he said, but under the hood. To the CuzzinOlaf non-wrenchers I guess "from the engine" = "under the hood somewheres".

I think it's the key between the jackshaft and rotor.

Dirty_Harry 02-06-2010 06:01 PM

I meant under the hood, fucker.

This non wrenchers sled dont mess pistons up though....:stirpot:

:poosy: Oh dear....

Ibreakstuff 02-06-2010 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty_Harry (Post 94216)
I meant under the hood, fucker.

This non wrenchers sled dont mess pistons up though....:stirpot:

:poosy: Oh dear....

Anytime, anywhere dude.

Here, take a look and see what I'm talking about:

Attachment 8471

#29 is the key between the shaft and the disc.

blue avenger 02-06-2010 07:04 PM

Sounds like a John Deere. they did that same noise thing.

flatlander_summit 02-06-2010 07:18 PM

If I remember right there is a little play in the brake rotor on Ski Doos. I can't check, my sleds aren't in the garage at my place right now. I would say that in my opinion the key could be the only option. Can Harry pull the caliper so he can check it out?

Ibreakstuff 02-06-2010 07:33 PM

He's not mechanically inclined enough. I don't remember exactly, but I believe there's more than an inch of play.

blue avenger 02-06-2010 09:40 PM

that sounds very excessive.

cuzzinolaf 02-07-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff (Post 94213)
To the CuzzinOlaf non-wrenchers I guess "from the engine" = "under the hood somewheres".

There are three different types of wrenchers.

Those that need to, those that want to and those that would rather not.

I'd rather not. Which one are you?

Powersledder 02-07-2010 08:00 AM

Try removing the brake pads(don't touch the brake lever while the pads are removed!) and rotate the jackshaft, that might get you a better idea of what's going on.

And who the hell uses a parking brake?

Ibreakstuff 02-07-2010 08:45 AM

Partially want to, partially need to.

cuzzinolaf 02-07-2010 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powersledder (Post 94248)
And who the hell uses a parking brake?

I use it more than you'd think. Usually when parking downhill if someone is stuck or when I get stuck and pull my sled around.

Madcow 02-07-2010 09:04 AM

i have seen them ski doo rotors have some slop on the shaft, its a good summer project, if its like the other ski doos its no major worry.

westman995 02-07-2010 10:19 AM

Sounds like alot of play if what IBS says is right. It shouldnt be that loose. Also, im pretty sure that the brake pads kinda of hold it in there more so it doesnt flop around clinking and shit, but if the pads got wore real down it prolly has more play. Also the key is prolly wore out so id definitly check it out.

Can you see the brake pads and are they real wore down now?

I hate hearing that damn clinking noise from the brake rotor, very annoying.

CWPottenger 02-07-2010 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf (Post 94247)
There are three different types of wrenchers.

Those that need to, those that want to and those that would rather not.

I'd rather not. Which one are you?

I don't need to because I own Polaris.
I'd rather ride.
I love to wrench because I can.

Brian Lee 03-16-2010 06:30 PM

well spoken Ibreak and CW, im my case i wrench cause i aint got a freakn choise, if i dont, it wont get done. I may ask for physical help, but i still do a majority of the work myself so i know how to. My ol friends 03 snopro 440 cat had a sloppy rotor, new pads fixed hte clank clank noise. not saying its rite but i worked for him??? In my opion Polaris is the easiest to work on and im talkin wedges, and the trip trip. im learning the diff between the piston port and reed case motors also. Not a hater, but i love the big tripps. Cant beat them. my friends twins are torquey, but they lack that pull that goes well over 100 easily all day long. Just my opion, but as long as your having fun and sleddn who really gives a fuck, lets have funnnnnnnnnnnnn