SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   PWC's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Waveblaster won't stay running (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=4830)

bassdocktor 06-02-2010 09:31 PM

*Update* Waveblaster won't stay running

Hey guys I figured I check for a 2nd opinion here. The blaster was giving me some trouble this last weekend.

I posted this over at greenhulk and talked to a friend and a dirty carb seems to be the overall feeling. So any agreeing or other ideas would be greatly welcome so I can work on it next week when I get back to MI.

Here's what I know
-Turns over and will run for 5-30 seconds and then die.
-Starts right up with a starter fluid but dies same way.
-drained the battery 2 times trying to get it running.
-Haven't checked compression as I didn't have my guage.
-Ran after the 2nd time I had to recharge the battery (was actually able to use it).
-Has fresh gas (premix).
-Took 2 trys to get it started when I came off (once running), used to just start right up.
-Once running it ran fine, no power loss or anything.
-Doubt it matters but the previous owner had the idle set a little higher.

Thanks guys

On an upside I can get get on it pretty easy now.

MrSnowman 06-02-2010 09:44 PM

have you pulled the carb ever to clean/ look at it? I would say start there clean it out check all the pieces then while your at it check the compression. sounds like its not getting the gas.

bassdocktor 06-02-2010 09:50 PM

No I haven't ever pulled the carb. I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna order the rebuild kit since I've been reading the gaskets rip pretty easy if you try to clean it. I figure it'd be a good time to attempt my first rebuild.

It's also gonna get new gas lines and filter/water seperator.

I haven't gotten the new gas lines yet (can't speak for quality) but nice deal if any of you guys need or want new lines. Maybe it can save someone else some money too.

http://www.pwctoday.com/f153/fast-fl...ng-276308.html

MrSnowman 06-02-2010 10:30 PM

some one else might like that I got a good amount of fuel line from the skis I bought a while back and then I bought some as well. but good idea on getting the rebuild kit. just remember all pieces that are taken out cant them and make sure they all go back the way they came out.

Gotmud 06-03-2010 06:46 AM

Hey Russ if your ever at your cabin and need tools you don't have on hand, call me. I'm pretty damn close to your cabin and I have every tool you could need. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

bassdocktor 06-03-2010 07:42 AM

Thanks Rich I'll keep that in mind. Yeah I forget how close you really are.

If you have any interest in going fishing or if I get this thing running and you wanna take both of my jetskis next week let me know.

Ibreakstuff 06-03-2010 08:50 PM

Fuel pump.

bassdocktor 06-03-2010 08:58 PM

I'll try that next. Just ordered my rebuild kit and new fuel filter/water speperator.

bassdocktor 06-10-2010 08:40 PM

*Update* Waveblaster won't stay running

4 Attachment(s)
It's running!!!

Before opening up the carb I checked the compression and it was ok. Then I replaced the fuel lines and the filters. Good thing as one line was starting to split, but it wasn't split through yet.

Decided to try and start it as a few people suggested that might be the issue. Once the lines had gas. alittle bit of choke got it going and it stayed running. I'm guess something was in the line or the filter?

I still plan on cleaning out the carb as I need to get the idle down alittle bit too. The previous owner set it kinda high and it wants to run away from you when you are trying to get on.

Here's a few pics with the new lines and the split. I figure if a Monster sticker or 2 is good for 10hp on a sled red fuel lines must be about 5hp on the ski.

Ibreakstuff 06-10-2010 09:01 PM

If any of those lines are gray "tempo" lines, get rid of them. Too hard to tell with those pics.

2 things: First, I see MSD on that plug cap, and that's not a stock airbox. That's a F/A adapter on that carb. What do you know about this machine? May be modded a bit.

bassdocktor 06-10-2010 09:13 PM

All of the gray lines are gone, along with those blue ones too. They've all been replaced. The only one that wasn't replaced was the grease line because it wasn't connected and I didn't find out for sure what it was until late last night. But it does have a a grease fitting now and will be replaced tomorrow.

Yeah the previous owner did add the MSD caps, maybe when they put the new coil on. The FA was off in the picture as they added a K&N filter to it.

What do I know? Well the engine (a 93) was dropped into the hull (a 95). Has a factory pipe waterbox and Pro-tec F series pipe. There is a chance it was bored out from a rebuild as I found out last night.

I was browsing on X-H2O and I actually found the guy that sold the hull and got some info about the crack in the gel coat and how it could be repaired. He sent me an email form the lady that owned it that suggested the cylinders were bored alittle. No idea how much as she didn't either. Not a big issue for now. She contacted him about some carb tuning isses.

bassdocktor 06-10-2010 09:30 PM

I forgot it was also converted to premix.

Gotmud 06-11-2010 11:07 AM

Glad you got it running!