SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   - 2-Stroke News - (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   2-Stroke V 4-Stroke (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=4841)

Powersledder 06-05-2010 11:27 PM

2-Stroke V 4-Stroke

What is really better in each circumstance? What's your opinion? 4S live longer and take boost better but 2S put out more HP/cc or do they? Are 2S really lighter than 4S? Are 2S more EPA compliant than 4S?

Brian Lee 06-06-2010 07:45 AM

a four stroke usually has better oiling system and turns less rpm making same hp. Two strokes are lighter,less moving parts and that equals less unsprung weight. A much simpler design also. Since four strokes dont burn their oil as part of the lubrication and fuel mixture they are more "envirometnally friendly". But if you dont have good valve seal,valve stem guides, and rings then u will smoke like a two stroker. Both have the bennifits and draw backs. Just depends on you style of riding and what your looking for.

Kevin Garceau 12-12-2010 12:43 PM

Well I know many 2s that are as heavy as an Apex and thats freaking heavy....LOL

Not much if any better environmentally than some of the newer 2s

My apex turns 11000 rpms easily - which 2s turn that?

Obviously we know of the great reliability of the Yamaha 4s, cant say the same for others so really dont want to comment on that.

Yes they love boost.....LOL

Powersledder 12-12-2010 01:02 PM

Wow I was bored when I started this topic lol. Not a lot of input since though...

DirtylilWolfess 12-12-2010 01:42 PM

Probably because it's a topic that has been beaten to death over and over.

For what it's worth, I really really enjoy my 2-stoke racers though...what a wild ride!!! :woohoo:

Madcow 12-12-2010 05:36 PM

cryogenics and engie then do a microblue process to a 2 stroke and you would have the light weight of the newer polaris or skidoo body, pass epa with flying colors and room to spare, 200-1 premix ratio so oil cost is nothing. wear on an engine would be unmeasurable. basically you would buy rollers from the factory because the engine would outlast the next 4 body's.

i bounce back and forth if i could get a sled what would i get, fst switchback style sled or shift switch back. the 4 stroke is 2 grand more but has some other features like better shocks and track that would narrow the cost margin.

for me that i would mostly do easy trail or ditch riding along with playing off trail.

600cfi.
100 lbs lighter
cheaper initial investment
similar mpg
electric start and upgraded tracks, shocks would narrow cost difference.
perc reverse
100 lbs lighter
easier to toss around in the off trail

fst.
4 stroke, no smell so i could keep my cloths in the house.
standard electric start
great power curve and more hp than the 600.
mechanical reverse and a turbo 4 stroke that will need maintenance at some point.

Madcow 12-12-2010 05:37 PM

kind of leaning hard to the 600 shift 136, light, simple machine that would make a great pull and go sled.

Powersledder 12-12-2010 05:39 PM

If I were a hard core trail rider(hard core as in never ever ever leave the trail and only ride when you're chasing the groomer) I might consider an FST. But even the thought of moving that beast around the garage scares me. I've driven one and man that thing is a tank.

Madcow 12-12-2010 05:44 PM

riley put over 2k miles on his shift, and walley gator has a lot of miles on his, neither had any real issues!!

wallygator 12-12-2010 05:56 PM

Put close to 5K on the Dragon and close to 2K on RMK I've had good luck with the 600CFI
You couldn't pay me to buy another 4 stroke, Grease had problems on both of his at 6k or
under in the engine also Yamaha's chassis is junk IMO

Madcow 12-12-2010 06:34 PM

battle storm and i go back and forth. skidoo renegade or polaris switchback not the shift.

pretty apples to apple comparison, ski doo is a little lighter and better mpg's than the polaris with possibly less oil

buuuuuttt. then i would have to learn ski doo suspensions and clutching. somewhat familiar with the tra on making adjustments, but picking the parts would all be new.

with farming its pick a dealer that has good support and close buy.

the polaris dealer than i would really trust is 2 hours away. the ski doo dealer is 20 minutes and my high school buddy is one of the shop managers.
the polaris dealer that is 20 minutes away is a decent store. but any service work you drop a sled off, then they take it to there other dealer. took 2 weeks for a shock to get serviced. hate to see how long it would take a recall or update?
but on the other hand other than warrenty work on either sled i would be doing what i can at home.

TheKuskokid 01-27-2011 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powersledder (Post 100988)
What is really better in each circumstance? What's your opinion? 4S live longer and take boost better but 2S put out more HP/cc or do they? Are 2S really lighter than 4S? Are 2S more EPA compliant than 4S?

Who gives a farting fuck about "EPA compliance". If this is what people want, buy an American Flyer and find a hill. I have never yet met a eco-freak who liked snogo's.

Find me a naturally aspirated 4s that develops the hp/cc that a 2s can at the same cc. Find me a 180hp naturally aspirated 4s as light as the same hp 2s.

proxpimp 10-13-2011 10:35 PM

aha yeah fuck this epa shit no worst then these pro stock diesel pullers n all then cars out there a few little 2s sleds wont do much . but i like 2s better lighter crank out more hp wines up better but

Powersledder 10-16-2011 07:42 PM

^^^Dude, learn some English.

Dirty_Harry 10-17-2012 03:07 PM

:stirpot:

Muds FST cant hang with Stormy......

:poosy:

Gotmud 10-17-2012 05:19 PM

WTF are you doing drinking this early?!? I'm telling your wife!:cop:

My FST will own your boat anchor, and I'll even put $100 bill on it.:poke:

Dirty_Harry 10-17-2012 05:41 PM

:poosy::poosy::poosy::poosy:

The Gerbil 10-19-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmud (Post 122450)
WTF are you doing drinking this early?!? I'm telling your wife!:cop:

My FST will own your boat anchor, and I'll even put $100 bill on it.:poke:

I thought you sold the FST?

Gotmud 10-19-2012 03:21 PM

Nope :sexyt:

Dirty_Harry 10-19-2012 10:01 PM

He couldnt give that thing away....