SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Stand-Ups (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   1989 Kawasaki sx650 (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=5043)

bassdocktor 09-22-2010 05:26 PM

1989 Kawasaki sx650

Ok I figured I'd try getting an opinion on here as I know you guys are familiar with the Kawasakis.

I've got a guy trying to sell me a 89 sx650 for $500 that includes an extra blown motor. What do you guys think. Thinking of going to check it out this weekend. Guy said it has new grips, is pre-mix, pipe, dual carbs, intake grate and cover.

I'm thinking it might be worth it it I can get a little bit of money from the blown engine (bad crank) and talk him down.

I'd like to pickup a stand up for the summer and get rid of the waveblaster I picked up this summer. Superjet would be ideal but this seems like a decent deal and could probably be flipped for alittle money if it checks out.

Any opinions?

Powersledder 09-22-2010 06:36 PM

If you can hold it until spring you could make some money off it, but over the length of time you really wouldn't gain much

bassdocktor 09-22-2010 06:41 PM

I'm not looking to make a fortune. But, it does need to be repainted but that seems to be it.

Would prefer a Superjet as I've gotten familiar with the 701 thanks to tearing apart the WB multiple times over the summer. Until I can sell the blaster an SJ would cost too much.

MrSnowman 09-22-2010 07:36 PM

if you can run it for a water test and checks out do it! 500 is a decent deal and if your nice on the price in spring I wouldn't mind buying it off you. not a fan of my 440 body with 550 motor in it. would rather get another 650 like I started with.

bassdocktor 09-22-2010 07:47 PM

I doubt a water test would happen as the only water around it is the Cal Sag and there is no way anyone will ever get me into that water other than on a boat. Plus time is alittle limited from now until winter break.

I would definitely be willing to work something out especially if the blaster sells in the spring.

stagesrt4 09-23-2010 06:47 AM

650 tend to go for lil more money than the 440 and 550s

but they are tanks, and not as much fun. There is a huge debat about how much of a turd the 650s are... people say they shoulda just gone right from 550 to 750...

i can post link ha.

still fun nun the less...

bassdocktor 09-23-2010 08:38 PM

Reading that is quickly talking me out of it especially if I have any issue selling it.

So what you are really saying is look for a decent 750 or just wait and find my 701 SJ?

blue avenger 09-25-2010 12:29 PM

bassdocktor 09-25-2010 01:11 PM

That's great! I haven't seen that in a long time.

ZLZEBUB 10-29-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassdocktor (Post 103570)
Ok I figured I'd try getting an opinion on here as I know you guys are familiar with the Kawasakis.

I've got a guy trying to sell me a 89 sx650 for $500 that includes an extra blown motor. What do you guys think. Thinking of going to check it out this weekend. Guy said it has new grips, is pre-mix, pipe, dual carbs, intake grate and cover.

I'm thinking it might be worth it it I can get a little bit of money from the blown engine (bad crank) and talk him down.

I'd like to pickup a stand up for the summer and get rid of the waveblaster I picked up this summer. Superjet would be ideal but this seems like a decent deal and could probably be flipped for alittle money if it checks out.

Any opinions?

its really easy to do.....i just traded in a blown 900 triple KAW for 300 bucks core charge...they then sent me a rebuilt motor with warranty for 900 bucks.....so for 600 i got a new motor....just slap one in

http://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/prem...i-engines.html

Powersledder 10-29-2010 09:06 PM

zlzlzlzlzlzlzdud'a posts = :poops:

MrSnowman 10-30-2010 12:31 AM

some one wants a high post cound

bassdocktor 10-30-2010 12:29 PM

Maybe my mind is fried from learning about strokes, parkinson disease, and headaches, but what what does getting a motor from SBT have to do with anything? It had an extra blown motor.

ZLZEBUB 10-30-2010 12:45 PM

well u did say this

I can get a little bit of money from the blown engine (bad crank) and talk him down

ya.....from SBT you can get a little extra money from motor

do you guys even know what u post??????

its a little hint that u can buy one cheap that has a blown motor with good body and then be on the water for even cheaper with a warrantied motor.....so back to youse guys because ya dont make any sense.....or have any sense i guess....carry on with :poops: :werd:

bassdocktor 10-30-2010 01:13 PM

I do know what I post. And for $495 or $695 for a premium yes I could buy a 650 from SBT but I was mainly interested in selling parts off that engine not having to send my blown engine for a swap and then have to sawp that into the ski (way more time than I have right now). I was just trying to cut my cost down some.

Unless you are saying they will buy the blown engine for a core then I'm not seeing a huge benefit in this instance.

I've also read alot of bad things about engines people have gotten from SBT.

ZLZEBUB 11-01-2010 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bassdocktor (Post 105535)
I do know what I post. And for $495 or $695 for a premium yes I could buy a 650 from SBT but I was mainly interested in selling parts off that engine not having to send my blown engine for a swap and then have to sawp that into the ski (way more time than I have right now). I was just trying to cut my cost down some.

Unless you are saying they will buy the blown engine for a core then I'm not seeing a huge benefit in this instance.

I've also read alot of bad things about engines people have gotten from SBT.

o i taught you was wanting to get something new for cheap....or resurrect and old dog for less when ya said this

"I'd like to pickup a stand up for the summer and get rid of the waveblaster I picked up this summer"

and yes they will buy the blown engine for a core....mine had flipped over and sunk and before i could tell them NO.....bring it in....they flipped it over and hit the key......KKKKAAAAAABBBBLLLAAAAMMMMMMMM.....huge hole blown clean out the case....thats why i only got 3 hundo....if it sorta runs and/or smokes ya might get more for it....i've never had any trouble from them....but then again i actually break my engines in.....most just get it and ride like its stolen....of course it will fail again when ya do that....not to mention let it warm up before going out....most those dudes tellin those stories are complete tards or beginners

Ibreakstuff 11-01-2010 12:47 PM

Do Not Buy An Sbt Engine. Period.

stagesrt4 11-02-2010 09:33 AM

SBT= last resort...

ZLZEBUB 11-05-2010 09:13 AM

yo BASSDR....you DO KNOW that SBT is like the WALLMART of engines (you did mention cheap) but i was also trying to get you to think towards the swapping direction to go....and i also thought it might inspire you to look at other places similar....so if you want a TOP NOTCH PLACE that does this same thing its here....lotsa good reviews....just dont take one thing as gospel like these dudes do and take off the blinders that they wear out....think outside the box

http://www.shortblocks-r-us.com/

bassdocktor 11-05-2010 05:22 PM

Never saw shortblocks-r-us before. Gonna have to check it out, thanks for the link. If it were to just resell and engine SBT would be good. Generally when I spend that much I do try to check alot of places first. Don't wanna spend the time and money for something and have to redo it quickly.

Yeah at this point I'm not sure what I'm gonna wind up doing as I've been trying to negotiate on a nice Super Jet.

MrSnowman 11-05-2010 05:27 PM

well you got time now sense snows about to come. what price you trying to get it down to?

bassdocktor 11-05-2010 06:18 PM

It's not so much trying to get it down, its trying to find out what he wants. The guy is moving from ND to Chicago and trying to sell it. He claims to not have a price in mind but when I offered him 1K because it's got some type starting issue he said it's alittle low. He's traveling so I'm not sure what's gonan happen with this one.

Don't remember the year off the top of my head but has a 701, new turf, footholds, tray reinforced, aluminum pole, prop, ride plate, grate, bilge pump, not installed but a factory B pipe and some other little stuff. Recently painted too.

MrSnowman 11-05-2010 07:17 PM

1k for a starter issue is priced rite I see perfect running machines and like new condition go for 1k-1200 dollars so your price is more than fair. At least for these neck of the woods I don't know what they go for were he lives

bassdocktor 11-05-2010 07:25 PM

Having looked at alot of other SN SJ's I figure anything under 2k will be pretty decent with everything he has on it. I haven't come across many with an aftermarket pole and B pipe both. Plus it still has the stock exhaust which could always be sold.

I also think it had a different head and some other stuff. But, I have a feeling he's gonan want alot.