SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile How-To's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Andrey, describe your problem here. (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=5306)

Rubi 12-11-2010 11:52 PM

Andrey, describe your problem here.

Hit "Post Reply" under this post and describe your problem in as much detail as you can. Tell us what you've checked, and if you've noticed anything.

If your sled is noisy and vibrating after being stuck, you could have ice built up in your tunnel up in front. That would be an easy thing to check.

DirtylilWolfess 12-11-2010 11:53 PM

After washing your sled with hot water...that might also have caused an ice buildup...

andrey 12-12-2010 12:04 AM

i was riding today and it was pretty warm...i got really stuck in the snow and tried getting out... got stuck more and more....got to the point when i was pushing on the gas it was smoking underneath the snomobile...then i noticed that the track stoped spinning and then started to spin again.... when i finally got out i floored it and went home...i felt something under neath wrong but i though it was all the dirt and snow that got build up.. i cleaned everything out and washed and same thing... when i ride it i can feel it vibrating or something like that..its not riding as it used to...

Rubi 12-12-2010 12:10 AM

You smoked your belt if the track stopped spinning. A wear mark in the belt will cause noise and vibration. Do you have a spare belt?

andrey 12-12-2010 12:12 AM

no i dont have a spare belt at this moment...but when it idles it does not have any vibration its when only riding. and it feels like something scraping or vibrating its really hard to explain. but the sled works fine like it used to

andrey 12-12-2010 12:30 AM

when riding it its like it shakes...i hope its nothing major.. i already put money into it.

Rubi 12-12-2010 12:34 AM

A belt with an hourglass burnt into it will definitely make it shake. That vibration will go through the whole drivetrain. It would be difficult to feel exactly where it was coming from.

You might want to look at your drivers. Your driveshaft is a steel shaft that goes through the track in the front. There will be 2, or 3 (maybe 4?) plastic sprockets on there. Inspect those sprockets and see if everything looks alright.

andrey 12-12-2010 12:38 AM

thank you...i dont know a lot about snomobiles...my dad is a mechanic on cars and not on snomobiles. we rebuilt the engine at the end of last season and i love how it rides. thank you for all the info will take a look and see what i can find.

Rubi 12-12-2010 12:40 AM

If your dad has a dial calipers, measure the belt in four or five different places. Also you could feel it with your hand to see whether it feels smooth and straight.

Rubi 12-12-2010 12:40 AM

What sled do you have?

OCR 12-12-2010 08:13 AM

When you burn a belt, it gets one or more of these on it ) ( and they can cause a thumping at slow speeds and a significant vibration at higher speeds.
Replacing the belt is the only fix.
You will also want to examine the clutch faces to see if there is any belt residue stuck on there and clean it off.

andrey 12-12-2010 09:29 AM

i have a 2002 Polaris xc sp edge x 600

Kevin Garceau 12-12-2010 01:56 PM

Yep replace the belt and use that burnt up belt as a spare - it will at least get you home if you have to.

Good luck

andrey 12-12-2010 04:03 PM

thank you a lot... can i still ride with the old belt before i get a new one.. or its not good on the snomobile.

DirtylilWolfess 12-12-2010 05:20 PM

That's not maybe not the best idea?

While I don't exactly know that it is bad for the sled, I'm thinking that you might have a long walk back home if you happen to burn through it, which is more likely to happen since it might already be damaged according to what Rubi said.

OCR 12-13-2010 07:42 AM

At very slow speeds it would be OK, but can come apart violently at higher speeds.
Put a new one on right away ASAP!

CWPottenger 12-13-2010 09:42 AM

Yep replace.... Belts will give you all kinds of weird results and vibrations when bad...

andrey 12-18-2010 04:18 PM

Just today put on a new Ultimax High Performace Belt XS and the snomobile stoped vibrating and thumping.

andrey 12-18-2010 04:19 PM

now with the new belts its squeeling so loud... What should i do to make it stop?

Rubi 12-18-2010 06:29 PM

On your back clutch, (the secondary) there is an adjustment thing in the middle with three screws. It is numbered one to three. If you loosen the screws, you can turn the cam back toward the number 1. I think this will loosen your belt tension. Give that a try.

andrey 12-18-2010 06:49 PM

ok.. i will try tomorrow.. do you know what polaris recomends on what number to put it on you a new belt is on?

andrey 12-18-2010 06:55 PM

Also when its at idle the head light dims and when i give it gas it goes bright as it should. also the gauge at idle flicker. Its my first snomobile so dont know much.

blue avenger 12-18-2010 08:13 PM

you adj it so the belt fits down between the secondary pulley sheaves and the belt is flush with the top. you can change the adj as the belt wears.

CWPottenger 12-18-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrey (Post 108828)
Also when its at idle the head light dims and when i give it gas it goes bright as it should. also the gauge at idle flicker. Its my first snomobile so dont know much.

That is normal... at idle the rpm's are lower so lighting coil put of less power... at speed it goes up and regulator levels it out...

Ibreakstuff 12-18-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue avenger (Post 108831)
you adj it so the belt fits down between the secondary pulley sheaves and the belt is flush with the top. you can change the adj as the belt wears.

Actually you want the belt to ride about 1/8th of an inch ABOVE the sheeves. There is no "standard" setting - just set it until the above condition is met.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CWPottenger (Post 108835)
That is normal... at idle the rpm's are lower so lighting coil put of less power... at speed it goes up and regulator levels it out...

Yep, little coils in there don't power much at 1500rpm.