SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tuning (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Running rich (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6078)

snake61047 02-08-2012 08:45 PM

Running rich

I went up to The Northwoods over the weekend with the ultra. I rode to eagle river phelps and then back to land o lakes. When I got up there Friday evening andit was in the upper 30's. I went for a ride and it a bad hesitation at 5500. IT felt like it was running rich. So I dropped the needle. It was in the 2nd to last position so I put it all the way down. It ran great on the way back. The next morning it was 5 degrees and I didn't put the needles back. Felt like it was running alittle lean in the midrange again about 1/2 throttle at 5500. I pulled the plugs and they were cardboard brown. Most of the trails would only allow midrange operation. But it ran great when the temp got to 18 degrees, but ran like shit when it hit 40 degrees. I thought I had it tuned in good at wot but never really did the chop test. I currently have 370 mains and stock polaris needles and piolet jets. I couldn't rejet the mains up north because noone have them. I just bought 3 360 mains and my question is will this be ok for midwest riding? If i run them then I can lean out the midrange more if needed next time. Thanks Josh

mmgg 02-09-2012 07:31 AM

It's a tripple. I'd stay within one jet size of what the manual says

Burnninator 02-09-2012 07:39 AM

Are you running the Stock Exhaust?
No Issues with drive components that are making it feel this way?
The 360 will help only on the top end? WOT
Midrange the Carb is not using the Main Jet Circuit. I have an ULTRA 1996 that sometimes will feel this way but I have recently installed and put SLP Pipes on - lots of parts and jets and currently I am running exactly what the install documents showed.

OK now to lean out the machine in midrange it can be difficult how about stock info from polaris
-
320 mains
needle setting - I'll have to check
needle jet - ?
I have the info just not at my finger tips here - I'll find it

snake61047 02-09-2012 07:46 AM

I do have slp pipes and the clutches are good. The fuel has to flow through the main jet before the needle jet or the jet needle ca meter it for the midrange. So smaller jet less fuel. Im just worried about burning it up.

snake61047 02-09-2012 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmgg (Post 119677)
It's a tripple. I'd stay within one jet size of what the manual says

The slp manual says 400 mj. I was fouling plugs all day.

Ultra Willie 02-09-2012 07:55 AM

Let me ask ...did you change the jet needle and the needle jet for the slp pipes??

I don't have all Fuckn day to wait for a simple yes or no! Let me enlighten you (ALL) Any after market or even the stock tripple pipes REQUIRE a Q2-247 needle jet and a 6-cey-06 jet needle. IF you don't have them you WILL burn it down mid range for sure. I can get real deep in this with this. for example what cut aways are in the carbs where you at with your air... ect......

snake61047 02-09-2012 09:17 AM

I highly doubt it. It came with the pipes. I just replaced them. It was jetted with 400mj but who ever set it up did it half assed. No heatshields or anything. Where can I get those. Im pretty sure my slide cutaway is stock