SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tech Info (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   89 Indy Classic 500 Vacuum Lines (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6570)

mainestratman 01-29-2013 11:35 AM

89 Indy Classic 500 Vacuum Lines

Greetings and salivations.. I'm going to jump with in with n00b questions because I'm awesome like that.

I've got a PDF of the Polaris master Service Manual 1985-1995 (Volume II), which has been tremendously useful thus far in tweaking my new-to-me baby.

I spent a good amount of time tinkering over the sled when I was at work and using an empty ambulance bay (warmth!), but now that I'm home with the sled, I have no such luxury..

Anyways..

I've got the vacuum lines figured out for the most part... but I'd like to know from someone who has seen this model.. do I connect the carbs directly to each other on the nipples facing each other? Per the manual above on page 6.14 it shows a dotted line and says "Some models have interconnecting lines between each carb". I'm assuming this is one of those models since there are lonely nipples and chunks of tubing laying in the pan..?

Thanks!

Rubi 01-29-2013 01:53 PM

If I were you, I'd experiment and see how it runs with different options. I've seen older carbs with a length of tube going nowhere; just wrapped around the carb. A lot of sleds have the carbs vented into barbs in the airbox. I've also seen these "lonely nipples" capped by a vacuum cap, doing nothing. I haven't seen carbs connected to each other, but that doesn't mean it isn't done on some models. My experience is pretty limited on older sleds.

mainestratman 01-29-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi (Post 124053)
If I were you, I'd experiment and see how it runs with different options. I've seen older carbs with a length of tube going nowhere; just wrapped around the carb. A lot of sleds have the carbs vented into barbs in the airbox. I've also seen these "lonely nipples" capped by a vacuum cap, doing nothing. I haven't seen carbs connected to each other, but that doesn't mean it isn't done on some models. My experience is pretty limited on older sleds.

It's a good thing I enjoy experimenting. :-)

OCR 01-30-2013 07:16 AM

Mostly they are not connected together, those are just vents and should have a section of tubing just hanging straight down.

mainestratman 01-30-2013 07:21 AM

Thanks, OCR.

Although, having disassembled and cleaned the carbs, I now have a much better understanding where all these vents go to.. they lead straight into the float chamber.. it makes sense why they have the one-way valves on the end of the tubing now..

Although, if I were to connect the carbs together, wouldn't that help "equalize" the pressure in the chambers, or am I just WAY over-thinking this..? lol

OCR 01-30-2013 07:29 AM

It could, but you would have to remove the valves for it to work.

mainestratman 01-30-2013 07:47 AM

Done deal then... dangly tubing for me. ;-)

Steepndeep 02-14-2013 01:35 PM

The two Indy 500s (89 Classic and 91 SKS) have two vent nipples on each carb. The center nipples have a very short section of tubing that connects to a T and another section of vent tube goes down to a one way valve. The outboard nippes have a short section of tube that also connect to Ts with one leg then going down to a one way valve and the other leg is connected to a long tube that runs up over the air box and under the handle bar pad and is clipped to the steering shaft with one of the spring clips that have the two small places to secure the tubing. The Polaris parts diagram, however shows the two center nipples connected to a T with the tube running down to the one way valve and the two outer nipples have a vacumn cap plug over them. Most of the machine I've seen run the outer lines as I described initially.

mainestratman 02-15-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steepndeep (Post 124250)
The two Indy 500s (89 Classic and 91 SKS) have two vent nipples on each carb.

<snip>

Thanks, Steep.. that's what I surmised from the drawings... I haven't even started looking for them, but do you know of a source for those valves, just off the top of your head?

Thanks!