SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile How-To's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   96 Polaris indy trail cuts out at 3/4 throttle (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6594)

Wissota 03-03-2013 05:48 PM

96 Polaris indy trail cuts out at 3/4 throttle

Engine starts fine, idles great, can run it up to 5K rpms no problem. Punch it past 5K rpms and it floods out and dies. Interesting to find I can run it at max throttle (7K rmps) no problem if I remove the air box cover. I have tried new gas, blew out all the gas lines to make sure no water, cleaned carbs several times. I have spark on both plugs. (plugs replaced with new more than once) I believe the left carb is getting too much gas, but only at 3/4 plus throttle. I swapped choke cables around to verify they are closing. If I get the engine good and warm, the right spark plug is hot, can't hardly touch it. The left I can take out and it is luke warm. Can the CDI be causing the problem even though both plugs appear to be sparking the same? If it truly is running way to rich but only after 3/4 throttle where would the extra gas be coming from? I don't know a whole lot about carbs, but it looks like after 3/4 throttle just the main jet is controlling fuel. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Wissota 03-03-2013 05:50 PM

I also tore apart and cleaned the fuel filter. Confirmed there was no gas in the line that goes to the engine block under the left carb.

OCR 03-03-2013 11:18 PM

Not a carb problem.

It's electrical.
Issue seems to be possible weak spark in the mid range which can either be a coil, wires, or stator issue.

Wissota 03-04-2013 10:57 AM

I swapped the CDI box off my other sled and the engine sounds much different when running. I had more snap and seemed to work with blower cover on when I just had the track raised up. I thought it was working, put it all together and started a ride. I went about 200 feet and same problem. I put the CDI back in the other sled to make sure it was still good and that sled runs fine. Possible a wiring issue now?

(while checking spark and chasing this early in the process I did find I get a good electrical shock when holding the one plug wire. I was only touching the rubber part about 3 inches back from the spark plug end. This tell me anything?)

OCR 03-04-2013 01:09 PM

Try swapping the coil and see if that makes a difference.

Wissota 03-04-2013 05:28 PM

I'm almost afraid to ask the dumb question but here goes. I have a CDI box, doesn't that replaces the usual coils for the plugs or am I missing something?

blue avenger 03-04-2013 06:40 PM

what year 500 are we dealing with? the older 90s cdi box and coils are one unit.

Wissota 03-04-2013 08:31 PM

1996. I'm pretty sure it is all one unit.

Wissota 03-06-2013 01:34 PM

Looks like the problem was a really dirty gas tank. Checked the new fuel filter and it was plugged. Having a local shop clean the tank. As stated I had syphoned all the gas out and put in new. Will update when done.

HappyGilmore 11-03-2014 01:36 AM

Did you ever figure out this problem? Im chasing the same problem.