SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tech Info (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Reverse problems, 03' SKS 800 (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6597)

MrNorway 03-04-2013 03:52 PM

Reverse problems, 03' SKS 800

Hello guys!

Need Your help or opinion on a issue im having with my snowmobile.

When trying to drive in reverse i get this horrible sound and the snowmobile won't move. Like the gear isn't really in reverse. Sometimes it goes smooth, but then when more throttle is added it often get this sound.

The thought that the reverse arm/ handle system is a little out of Place and needs adjustments has hit me, but then again i don't really know how it is supposed to act. Anyone know of a video etc.?
It could of course also be the chain or the sprocket.

Chaincase oil has just been changed.

Forward the snowmobile runs smoothly and Without problems.

Any ideas?

Much apprechiated!

blue avenger 03-04-2013 07:37 PM

spring loaded haves that slip easy if not pushed together enough or wear fast if slipping and grinding.

MrNorway 03-05-2013 12:54 AM

Thanks for the reply.

So does this mean it is probably not really in reverse, even if the handle is pulled completely out? Have a clue on how to adjust the reverse system?

Thanks

Gotmud 03-05-2013 07:35 AM

I'd have to check but it seems like there is a cable adjustment right at the chaincase? Have you pulled the chaincase cover to actually see if there is something wrong? Thats the very first thing you should have done.

Jeevesso 03-05-2013 09:47 AM

Sounds like something is preventing the lower reverse sprocket from moving. Either the shift arm adjustment is incorrect, or there is something on the inside that is blocking full movement...

OCR 03-05-2013 10:34 AM

This might help, you can find parts fiche, parts cross reference, and parts numbers here;
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp

MrNorway 03-06-2013 04:54 AM

Thanks guys! Well i'll just have to open the case up and have a look.

Btw there is also like a knocking sound when it actually moves in reverse. And then suddenly it stops and this squeeking sound goes off.

Is there alot of work removing the ladder end of the exhaust system? There are som springs, but i wonder if this is all? Just remove the springs and then lift it out?

MrNorway 03-06-2013 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeevesso (Post 124512)
Sounds like something is preventing the lower reverse sprocket from moving. Either the shift arm adjustment is incorrect, or there is something on the inside that is blocking full movement...

That is what i also was thinking or hoping(!!!). Problem is that i don't really know how the shift arm or the outside system is supposed to act. Well the top one seems to be alright, but then it is the lower one on the chaincase itself, that i don't have a clue about. When pulling the reverse handle, the one on the chaincase moves out a little and twists just a little bit to the left or right(Don't remember atm).

MrNorway 03-08-2013 03:22 AM

The chaincase has now been opened and the issue was easy to spot. The upper reverse sprocket is missing two of its tooths and the lower, big one, was really worn down on its sides. The other sprockets and the chain seems to be in great condition. Luckily no more damage has been done. The torn away parts of the reverse sprocket could easily have conflicted with the rest of the system and caused a heavy and expensive mess.

Im gonna clean the whole chaincase carefully now and replace the bad sprockets.

Edit: Talking about expensive. My local dealer charges around 700$ for the two parts.

MrNorway 03-10-2013 12:14 PM

Anyone know if the revers sprockets from a 2001 RMK will work with the 2003 SKS?

I have a guy wanting to sell me a complete chaincase from this RMK and on the photos all the parts look completely the same. Problem is i can't find RMKs from that year with reverse description in neither polarispartshouse.com, nor at polarisind.com. That way i cant compare the parts...

Any help much appreciated!!!

Powersledder 03-10-2013 12:54 PM

Mounting bolt locations should be the same. Only difference is that the SKS is probably geared a little higher. Swap the main sprockets out of your old case and into the new one and you should be set.

MrNorway 03-10-2013 01:23 PM

Or the other way around i guess? My chaincase is in very good condition, so its just the two reverse sprockets im in need of. Im getting the Whole chaincase for a very nice price so thats why im buying the Whole thing.

Thanks man!

Btw.: Do i have to replace the chain if the gearing is different?

Powersledder 03-10-2013 02:20 PM

Reference the Polaris recommended Gear/chain chart

MrNorway 03-12-2013 03:25 AM

Thanks alot! Really good service.