SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Dirt Bikes (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Kallin's Rookie Year in Motocross (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6612)

Ratstang 04-10-2013 12:31 PM

Kallin's Rookie Year in Motocross

8 Attachment(s)
My 5 year old son Kallin participated in his first motocross race this past Sunday. He is in the stock 50cc 4-8 year old class, and would of won if first was last. We all had a great time. I have a list of things to work with him on. Like not holding the throttle in one place and pining it to take off from turns. Should have it now as we worked on it when we got home. He started riding his 50cc KTM two years ago with training wheels. The wheels came off the beginning of last year, and he made some practices at Byron Motorsports track late in the fall. He raced six other kids, all older, up to 8 years old, and experienced at racing. The next slowest was a girl on her third year racing. He finished a half a lap behind her in the second moto, unsure about the first. They race two motos, five laps each. He did get lapped as some kids in his class are fast! He fell twice. Got help up the first time, and gather himself up the second. We worked on that the days leading up to the race. Racing again in two Sundays.

Byron Motorsports Park, Byron Nuke in back ground.
Attachment 11591

Attachment 11592

Attachment 11593

Attachment 11594

Attachment 11595

Attachment 11596

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBxFhwRGAQ

Couple of fun extras
Attachment 11597

Attachment 11598

The Gerbil 04-10-2013 07:06 PM

Way to go for the little ripper! We should set up a head to head battle for him and Wolfie and see who comes out the champion.

The last pic with both kids and and rolled over kitty kat is pretty humorous as well.

Gotmud 04-10-2013 07:08 PM

Nice!! Shane and I actually found that video on youtube yesterday and commented on it. I am half assed looking for a Kawie or KTM 85 for Shane, and then he will start his racing carreer. Do you plan to race local to yourself Mitch or are you going to travel to other tracks? If I do manage to get Shane racing this year and you travel we may have to follow you guys around lol. Either way, I believe Shane and I'd like to come watch one of Kallins races this year so keep us up to date.

Edit: Tell Kallin that both Mud and MiniMud said congrats!! Tell him Shane said we WILL see him race this year.:thumbss:

Ratstang 04-10-2013 10:30 PM

Stick with the four stoke for a few races to get him used to racing. Check out the trailblazer class at your local track. http://www.dutchsportparkmx.com/riderinfo.html It is the seventh class down. I think that would be a good place to start. Especially since they run the same bike he has. It is ran on the small track, and anyone that has ran the big track can not enter. It keeps the more advanced riders out of the class. Can't say for sure, but I would bet the 85's are faster than the trailblazers. Go watch the races, litte bastards are fast.

We plan on running him on this one track (six more races). http://motobyron.com/calendar/
I don't need to race and get hurt. The organized dualsport runs I go on are harry enough with enduro/hare scramble racers entering to get practice. Couple years ago a buddy tore his ACL because of one.

Gerbs, I have a video of the Thomas two doing the hardcore flatland sidehill fail that I will post.

Gotmud 04-10-2013 11:10 PM

Yeah the 85s are wicked quick little high strung machines. I was actually looking at a Kawie kx65 a couple days ago, probably more his power but way too small for him. You may be right to start him racing the thumper and move him up to an 85 when he's doing very well on the thumper. I'm going to look into that trailblazer class.

DirtylilWolfess 04-11-2013 09:42 PM

Congrats on the first race! I always get stoked to see a new rider making the first official "race" laps! Tell him to keep haulin' and that I'm looking forward to the next race report!

Some of my best races have been the ones where I've taken last place. It won't be long at all before that little guy is faster on his 50cc machine than I am on my 250. :mr:

Powersledder 04-15-2013 12:18 PM

Must be too hardcore for the kitty cat

Ratstang 04-15-2013 02:20 PM

The sled can handle it. It's been modded a bit. I think Meadow hit the spray when he wasn't looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9qajR6L3Cw

Gotmud 04-15-2013 06:33 PM

Holy shit you really lifted that thing lol.:thumbss:

DirtylilWolfess 04-15-2013 10:31 PM

Those two are going to be some serious boonditchers and ultra hard core carving pros by the age of 12!

Ratstang 04-16-2013 10:20 AM

Pro's by twelve? I'm betting three if not four of the manufacturers see this video and offer them a contract by next week.

Mud it was lifted four inches, and the ski stance was widened two inches. It is pretty much the same as a Pro, just lighter.

Gotmud 04-16-2013 11:54 AM

:mr:

Ratstang 04-28-2013 11:27 AM

Round Two

Kallin's second race went about like the first. Again, if first was last he would of won. lol He did do better though. He has the pinning it at gate drop figured out. In both motos he was in 3rd out of five after the first turn. Last week he started and finished last. He held on to third for a lap and a half the first moto. Went a half lap before being past in the second moto. He tries to block when he is in front of someone. He got a little too excited in the second moto when one tried to pass and he ran into the side of them taking himself out with a fairly hard crash. Surprisingly he took right off after getting help up. Had two other downs that he handled himself. Should have some pictures next week as a professional photographer (some dude with a large camera) took some and is bringing a disc. We are working on staying in race mode because he seems to go into riding around the yard mode after a lap or so. Hope to practice at the track this week to get laps and lap times other than the yard. Next race in a week.

Words from Kallin: When mom asked what to do at the start.
"when that gate drops, I'm going to pin it"

DirtylilWolfess 04-28-2013 01:15 PM

Thanks for the update!

I'm pretty stoked to hear that he's picking himself up after sampling the dirt! Most of the 5yo's around here lay perfectly still, and scream their lungs out until mom or dad comes and picks them up, starts the bike, and then puts said kid back on the bike. Usually it's not the fastest kid that wins the moto, but the kid with the fastest parent!

If it helps, you could always tape a reminder to his handlebar pad: "PIN IT!"

Gotmud 04-28-2013 03:33 PM

Nice!! Can't wait for the pictures!! :woot:

Powersledder 04-28-2013 09:22 PM

:woot:

ilinisnwchasr 05-06-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratstang (Post 124797)

Words from Kallin: When mom asked what to do at the start.
"when that gate drops, I'm going to pin it"

That's awesome! :gaywave:

Ratstang 05-21-2013 07:58 PM

Round Three

3 Attachment(s)
Kallin's third race results are unchanged. He is showing riding improvements like holding the bike with his legs, more body input and movement, jerking on the handle bars, and getting up the berm. Other areas not so good. His starts weren't the best, and during the race he stopped for his buddy that crashed. lol

I've held off posting round three waiting for round four, and the pictures of round three. The guy that took pictures of round two wasn't at round three. Well, we showed up to a empty track Sunday thinking it was race day. It seems round four is next week.

I don't have many pictures of round three as my camera phone is on the fritz.

He has found his calling at the track.
Attachment 11613

Democratic trophy
Attachment 11614

The tire on my Jeep exploded.
Attachment 11615

Gotmud 05-21-2013 08:20 PM

Nice jeep carnage lol, holy shit it did some damage.:thumbss:

I like the crowd control, the boys just adding to his cheer section lol. Those little smokers just haul ass, I want to see him race lol. You plan to race at Rose Bud at all?

Ratstang 05-22-2013 10:13 AM

Kallin doesn't haul ass. I wish he did lol. I'm unsure how to get him to go faster other than letting him learn at his own pace. We give lots of pointers, take to practice, and encourage him to go faster. He does say he is afraid of crashing. Who isn't? It's part of motocross, he knows that, but no one really gets over it.

We want to see Shane race also. Not planning on racing Red Bud, but will most likely go watch the nationals. We could come to your track on a weekend our track is not racing. Or the other way around. They would race at different tracks here, same facility, might be hard to catch both races. Here is our schedule. http://motobyron.com/calendar/ He is racing in the Barone series. What track is Shane racing at?

Gotmud 05-22-2013 12:58 PM

Shane races at dutchsportparkmx.com . We'll have to figure something out, we're not opposed to coming that way for a race either. Have Wolfy come race at your track and we'll have a Nutz MX extravaganza lol.

Ratstang 05-22-2013 02:28 PM

Looks like Wolfy is racing the weeks that Kallin races and then some. Minnesota road trip? It would be good if she raced the weekend of Haydays, but doesn't look to be the case. Dates Kallin doesn't race and Shane does are August 10, 11 and September 14, 15. Other way around dates are August 4, 18 and September 1st. Jay talked about coming also.

Ratstang 05-30-2013 08:23 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Round four, unchanged. He fell two times the first moto thanks to "grooming" and watering the track. Might as well chisel plow and flood it. The first time he got the bike up, but was afraid to go. He was on a jump pointed to the side and afraid of falling off. I ran from one end of the track to the other so he could be coached through it. There is time for coaching during the race when in last place. He had plenty of room and made it just fine. The second time he fell some Dad got him going in a hurry. Race day highlight was a 6 year old girl on a PW50 that placed 2nd in two motos.

Still no camera dude, but we did get some pictures.

Attachment 11620

Attachment 11621

Attachment 11622

Attachment 11623

Attachment 11624

Attachment 11625
Little Payton
Attachment 11626

Ratstang 06-04-2013 01:56 PM

Round Five

Same old same old.

Ratstang 08-10-2013 11:55 AM

Round Six, Seven, Eight

1 Attachment(s)
I see I missed round six. It's lost in the bowl.

Round seven, results unchanged. Although getting better! Kallin finished only a 1/8 of a lap down both motos. He hasn't fell down at a race in while. He does in the yard, but most times is quick to get up. I've found the best time to have him practice is early in the morning or later in the evening so there is dew on the grass. The dew makes the bike slide, in turn helping him build reactions to the bike doing it's own thing.

Round eight, the adult toy store did the trick. Kallin went to Hobbytown USA for the first time in his life. After conversing about the store being like Toys R Us and a lot of the toys being for adults, he said "Toys R Us is a kids toy store and this place is a adult toy store". I responded with "this is one of them" lol. He roamed the aisles talking like a broken record "awe look at this Meadow", "Dad can we get this". A dim light went on in my head, bribe him out of last place. I offered up $10 to spend at the store on Monday if he got better than last place at the race. He said "it's a deal" and shook my hand. He did try to renegotiate on the way home "how about if I get the holeshot" , I wasn't budging.
Anyway, both motos he did get a decent holeshot and came out of the first turn in third out of five. First moto he let one pass just to see em on the ground the next turn. The same kid was clearly faster and ended up behind him on the last lap. Kallin held off the pass a few times to finish in third. Second moto was pretty much the same except he held off his nemesis until the the kids bike broke on the last lap. Finished third, the same overall. :woot:
He ended up with trophy that he earned, two rubber band power wooden airplanes, and a sticky thing that slowly walks down the wall after throwing it on the wall.
Next race's deal is a string controlled .049 airplane if he gets a bigger trophy lol.