SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tech Info (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Need a little help with the Assault (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6789)

The Gerbil 12-28-2013 08:53 PM

Need a little help with the Assault

4 Attachment(s)
DCUBA was out for a little ride yesterday and the 09 Assault that I have started acting up giving me a flash of the check engine light every once in a while and at one point a flashing check engine. When it flashed I came to a stop and it still idled fine so I shut it down to take a look and everything seemed ok so I fired back up with no issues and rode home taking it pretty easy.
It has also been giving me a bit of a lean bog issue that seemed to be common with these sleds but no real issues besides that. I was told that the throttle body adapter could be the cause of this condition so I went to check it out and noticed some scuffing on the intake side of the pistons so I took apart the head and this is what I found...
Attachment 11700Attachment 11701Attachment 11702Attachment 11703

The scuffing is on the intake side and even though it is difficult to see you can feel some of it in each cylinder. It doesn't look to be lean by the looks of the pistons and it is getting a shitload(possibly too much?) oil at 23:1. DCUBA is hoping to head out west in about a week so any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gotmud 12-28-2013 11:35 PM

Wow Gerbs, dunno quite what to say lol. You have shitty ass luck, maybe you should look for another Skodont?:poosy:

Rubi 12-28-2013 11:45 PM

If you count this as a blow-up (which it technically isn't because it still runs and has good compression), Gerbil has blown up three Polaris' and one Ski Don't three times. Six on one hand, half dozen the other....

Gotmud 12-28-2013 11:47 PM

Gerbs, put that fucker back together and sell it. Then nut up and go buy a Yamaplow already!:stirpot:

Rubi 12-28-2013 11:50 PM

You know what would be a lot more fun than one of those unwieldy beasts? If we got a 4 place trailer, Gerbil could just bring three handfuls on every trip for the same price as a new Yammi.

Gotmud 12-28-2013 11:52 PM

Well then either way you look at it, Gerbs needs to start sled shopping again lol.:poke:

Rubi 12-28-2013 11:58 PM

Don't you worry. Gerbil has been shopping because he doesn't want to be caught with his pants down, and that's the definition of owning just one sled. I'm shopping too, but I'm having trouble pulling the trigger. I just have been having too much fun relentlessly beating my piece-of-shit arctic cat.

OCR 12-29-2013 04:34 AM

Gerbs, dunno if it's just the lighting but it appears as if that one cylinder is a tad leaner than the other.
That scuffing is normal too.

Powersledder 12-29-2013 09:00 AM

What's with the 9K stamped in the piston domes? Are there high compression pistons available or something?

The Gerbil 12-29-2013 09:08 AM

Not sure what the 9k is all about on the pistons. Not sure what brand of pistons were used but I don't think they are for a high compression set up of any sort.

The Gerbil 12-29-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmud (Post 126399)
Wow Gerbs, dunno quite what to say lol. You have shitty ass luck, maybe you should look for another Skodont?:poosy:

Like Rubi said it still seems to run fine I just want to make damn sure there isn't a major issue causing the scuffing or like OCR says it my very well just be from break in. It's not exactly a cheap motor in there and I would prefer not to totally fuck it up in under 100 miles so I figure better safe than sorry.

Rubi 12-29-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OCR (Post 126422)
Gerbs, dunno if it's just the lighting but it appears as if that one cylinder is a tad leaner than the other.
That scuffing is normal too.

One side is a tad leaner than the other, but the leaner of the two is not too lean by any stretch of the imagination. There is very apparent wash by all of the intake ports on both pistons. The wash isn't easy to see in the pictures because of the tremendous amount of oil being run through the sled.

This scuffing I don't think is normal. I took my sled apart with 6500 miles and there was nothing like this in there. The only thing you could see in the 6500 mile sled was areas where the crosshatch was a little less apparent. Piston skirts were shinier in some areas too. These cylinder marks are narrow and stretch top to bottom. There are matching marks on the pistons that are probably deeper than the ones on the cylinders.

Powersledder 12-29-2013 01:56 PM

From what I have read, the 800 monos are very susceptible to cold seize. Like when you are running hard and then stop for a 5-10 min break, then when you start the sled up again you hammer on it since it's still warm....but in reality there's a big slug of cold coolant that flash cools the cylinder walls.

The Gerbil 12-29-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powersledder (Post 126432)
From what I have read, the 800 monos are very susceptible to cold seize. Like when you are running hard and then stop for a 5-10 min break, then when you start the sled up again you hammer on it since it's still warm....but in reality there's a big slug of cold coolant that flash cools the cylinder walls.

They are susceptible to the cold seize which is why I was very careful after shutting down for a short time then starting again to let it idle and not hit the throttle hard until my coolant temp had stabilized.

The Gerbil 01-04-2014 12:15 PM

I put everything back together and took the handful for a little rip yesterday and it seemed to run substantially better. One of the main issues could very well have been a clutch that was either the wrong clutch or installed completely wrong. Another issue could have been the fact the oil pump was blasting oil in at a 23:1 ratio on top of having mixed gas in for break in. It is at the dealer right now on the digital wrench getting the codes read and getting reflashed for the latest fuel map so hopefully that should do it.

Ibreakstuff 01-06-2014 09:03 PM

I'm with OCR on this one. Pistons wobble and scuff.

The Gerbil 01-11-2014 06:20 PM

As per the norm we got out to Island Park and my POS Arctic Cat is running like shit. It doesn't idle well when cold and when warm idles high at about 2600 rpm. If you take off from idle trying to get full throttle it seems to repeatedly cut in and out until you hit mid range rpm then kind of cleans out but at best only hits 7500 rpm tops on the trail and in deep snow you're lucky to hit 7000 rpm. It ran great at home before coming out here and once we got here it is a turd. Put a practically new primary on with a new spring in it and am running 10-66s, the secondary I haven't touched yet. Rubi and myself are leaning towards an electrical issue, possibly the stator. It also dies more often than not when switching from forward to reverse or if you do get it into reverse it will almost certainly die switching back into forward. Any of you guys have any other ideas?

Ibreakstuff 01-11-2014 06:58 PM

Is this the AC that's being turdly or the Assault?

Check compression, disconnect all kill switches, check for loose connections including plug boots and where it connects to coil, throw some ISO in the tank along with seafoam or Chevron Techron, and new set of plugs. That should cost $15 and if it doesn't fix it, you have a larger problem.

The Gerbil 01-11-2014 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff (Post 126592)
Is this the AC that's being turdly or the Assault?

Check compression, disconnect all kill switches, check for loose connections including plug boots and where it connects to coil, throw some ISO in the tank along with seafoam or Chevron Techron, and new set of plugs. That should cost $15 and if it doesn't fix it, you have a larger problem.

It's the Assault.

Checked compression right away and it is good, gas is good, two new sets of plugs today, and checked the plug wires. Ran out of light so I will be checking the rest of the connections in the morning.

Ibreakstuff 01-11-2014 07:30 PM

Air leak somewhere?

The Gerbil 01-11-2014 07:53 PM

Had it in at the dealer before I left and they checked for that. Also the on the compression it is at 95 psi per cylinder which I considered ok since I am at 6400 ft and not 1400 ft above sea level.

Ibreakstuff 01-11-2014 09:06 PM

From what I've read, you should lose about 20% at that altitude.

You're 5psi short of an OK running engine, so I wouldn't be *too* worried about that. Also, just because a stealership checked for air leaks doesn't mean there isn't one.

I would still be chasing electrical gremlins due to the drive out there.

Rubi 01-12-2014 12:47 AM

I rode the sled for 5 or 10 minutes and here's how I would describe what is going on.

It was idling pretty smooth when I got on, but it was a high idle around 2600 rpm. When I took off, my first impression was that the belt was slipping and then catching. That's how noticeable the on/off nature of the power delivery is. I quickly discarded the notion of belt slippage because once your belt slips, the motor revs way up and you have to let off the throttle before the belt will grip again. Also, the frequency of the power cutout is very fast. It cuts out 2 or 3 times a second and it is rhythmic. It doesn't pull hard for 3 seconds and then cut out for half a second, pull hard for 3 more seconds and cut out for a second. It just jerks along and the surges and jerks of power delivery seem to match rpm. (the frequency increases as rpm increases) If you keep on the throttle, eventually you reach an rpm where it seems like the crank is spinning fast enough that you can't feel the individual jerks in power delivery. It runs relatively smoothly then. I suppose that rpm would be somewhere in the low 6000 range. You think you have a lot of power when it smooths out, but it's only turning 6800 in deep snow and maybe 7200 on the trail. You think it has tons of power because, compared to the 11 HP you had when it was cutting out at lower rpm, the 41 HP you get at 6800 rpm is pretty impressive. The sled totally ripped at home and it was pulling 70 gram weights up to 8350 or 8400 rpm.

It does not feel like a sled that is bogging from too much or too little fuel. I've experienced both, and it feels nothing like that. It may be different on an injected sled though. If the injector is not reading its electronic signal correctly it might feel like it's pulsing, but I don't think it's fuel. The plugs look very rich.

My 600 had more power when it had a wrist pin clip pop out and tear up the cylinder and piston, resulting in a compression reading of 38 psi in one, and 120 in the other. 20% of 120 psi is 24psi. Subtract 24 from 120 and you get 96. The compression is reading 95 psi cold out here, so a difference of 1 psi from theoretical is within the margin of error. The sled isn't blown up.

It doesn't feel like one cylinder is missing. I've had a plug wire go bad so one cylinder was intermittent. It doesn't feel at all like that. It feels like the whole ignition cuts out.

It doesn't feel like limp mode. I've overheated enough that I'm very familiar with limp mode. It doesn't feel at all like that.

I've actually never experienced a motor that ran at all like this one.

OCR 01-12-2014 05:43 AM

Sounds like a misfire to me, as if you are getting an intermittent weak spark. Not enough to make if bang and pop but enough to make it jerky running [4 cycling] until it builds enough rpm.

Powersledder 01-12-2014 08:54 AM

Fuel pump?