SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Tech Info (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   800 Dragon clutch clunking (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=6815)

captain 01-23-2014 07:04 PM

800 Dragon clutch clunking

I have a 09 800 Dragon 136" track with about 2400 miles on it. I keep this sled indoors and service it multiple times per season and have not ANY issues with it. I have noticed lately that there is a single clunking noise when I start from a stop. It seems like something in the clutch is hung up and as soon as I give it throttle to go, it clunks in. It seems like something gets hung up in between decelerating and when I accelerate after a stop. A perfect example is when I coast up to a stop sign, stop, and then go to take off. As soon as I give it gas to go, I hear and feel the clunk down by my left foot. I have cleaned my clutches thoroughly and everything looks fine.

Any ideas??

OCR 01-23-2014 08:42 PM

Prolly the chain needs tightening.
As they age they will stretch som and need adjustment.

Ibreakstuff 01-23-2014 11:10 PM

Team roller secondary?

Rubi 01-23-2014 11:35 PM

Did it just start doing this? My '09 Dragon, and both of my Pro's made a clunking in the secondary. This is normal for a Team Roller Clutch. It is most pronounced after using reverse. If you're screaming down a mountain without the clutches engaged and you hit the throttle to engage them, you can get a very nasty clunk! Although this is normal, I don't know for sure if this is something you can actually feel in your foot? I can't really remember. You may have another issue, but the secondary clunk is normal.

captain 01-24-2014 08:43 PM

It is a Team secondary. I think I am going to check my chain tension. That seems to make sense. I do get that same clunk when I switch back/forth from forward/reverse etc. I will check that out and repost - Thanks!!

Ibreakstuff 01-24-2014 09:06 PM

It's the rollers moving in the helix.

captain 01-25-2014 10:48 AM

Is there a resolution for that??

OCR 01-25-2014 01:49 PM

It is normal.

Ibreakstuff 01-25-2014 01:57 PM

Are you sure the clunk wasn't always there and you didn't notice it?

To be safe, you could pull off the secondary and take it apart (careful). If nothing is worn, you're fine. When you have it apart you'll see the rollers and how they roll into a cam when you put it in reverse and you'll instantly see where the clunk us coming from. Mine has clunked from day 1 (not much on my sled hasn't clunked since day 1 though ... lol) Check your chain tension too - should be checked periodically anyways.

Better safe than sorry.

captain 01-25-2014 03:31 PM

Actually, I just bought it this season and it has done it since I got it. I'll check the chain tension tonight. Thanks for the info!!

Ibreakstuff 01-25-2014 04:21 PM

I thought you owned it longer based on the "service it multiple times per season".

captain 01-25-2014 09:02 PM

I should have been more clear, sorry. I have had many sleds through the years and I DO go through them a few times each season, but this season I haven't been out much due to my job, but the few times I have been out, I noticed the clunk. I have never had a sled that clunked like that (normal, it could be) While prepping for this season, I did go through everything thoroughly, but I checked the chaincase fluid and didn't check the tension. I'll set the tension & see where I end up - it never hurts to get opinions before tearing things apart that don't need to be tore apart that's all.