SledNutZ

SledNutZ (http://www.slednutz.com/index.php)
-   Snowmobile How-To's (http://www.slednutz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Tips on Polishing your Sleds Aluminium (http://www.slednutz.com/showthread.php?t=78)

PolarisRich 09-22-2007 10:34 AM

Tips on Polishing your Sleds Aluminium

4 Attachment(s)
The best stuff that I found was the Mothers Aluminum and Mag Polish.
Now here's one of the best tip's that I know about polishing Aluminum. After you rub the polish on the Aluminum for a while it will turn black, this means that it's removing the oxidation and doing what its supposed to do. Now the black polish residue is like greese and does take some buffing to remove and shine it up!

Here's the trick!!!
When you are ready to buff the polish residue off the aluminum use a dry clean cloth and dip it in ordinary kitchen flour. Now buff the black polish off. You won't belive how much of a differance that this makes! Less buffing and a cleaner, brighter shine every time.

Attachment 974Attachment 975Attachment 976Attachment 977

ACEXCR 09-22-2007 10:50 AM

Re: Tips on Polishing your Sleds Aluminium

That looks sweet!!
I have some Mother's leftover that i will try with the flour.
I thought it was a lttle too much work with the Mother's , so I picked up some stuff called Flitz. Alot less work using the Flitz.

Ultrastud 09-22-2007 12:23 PM

That does look nice Rich, someday I'll show ya how to do it with a small hand grinder w/cloth wheel and a polishing compound, thats how us lazy bastards roll!!! :P

PolarisRich 09-22-2007 02:25 PM

After all them years of polishing your helmet, you should be good at it!

RipnChick 09-24-2007 10:50 AM

Wow, nice shiny job!

I've always used that Maas metal polish, but I must say I've never heard of the flour trick, gonna hafta give that one a try for myself.

PolarisRich 09-24-2007 11:31 AM

Trust me you wont be dissapointed.
When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke and it was going to stick to the metal or something stupid like that but to my surprize it worked and it worked very well.

ACEXCR 09-24-2007 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarisRich
Trust me you wont be dissapointed.
When I first heard of this I thought it was a joke and it was going to stick to the metal or something stupid like that but to my surprize it worked and it worked very well.

I'll attest to that!! I went over my heat shields for my pipes last night. Did the flour trick and what a difference!!

Thanks for the tip PolarisRich!

SnowAttitude 09-29-2007 04:19 AM

Used that trick last year, works great.

You can get some stuff from Canan classic sleds thats suppose to be the best easiest polish. I think it's called white diamond, or something like that.

find a web site to "English Polish" a lot of great tips, Ive used it good stuff, should do a comparison to Mothers

ny_driver 03-05-2008 05:32 PM

That does look very nice. My sled is going to be very shiny when I roll it out of the shop next winter. I really need to find an enclosed trailer.

Riley 03-05-2008 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PolarisRich (Post 804)
After all them years of polishing your helmet, you should be good at it!

Jeff do you spit shine your helmet?

Ultrastud 03-06-2008 01:35 PM

No, thats Ultrasgirls job!!! :bj:

indygirl 03-06-2008 04:03 PM

This is what I would do to you if you wanted me to spit shine anything of yours :slap::stamp::slap:

Ibreakstuff 03-06-2008 04:13 PM

Somebody's useless...

indygirl 03-07-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ibreakstuff (Post 12629)
Somebody's useless...

I agree - that would be Ultra!! :slap: ;D

Vertical_Escape 07-29-2008 07:29 PM

Anyone working on any of their aluminum this summer?
Would this work on the skid itself?

Vertical_Escape 11-14-2008 08:02 PM

Still no answer to ^^^ the above?

Has anyone tried using the Mothers Polishing Balls? Bought the small one, going to try it on the tunnel and clutch cover this weekend. And whatever else I can find it will work on.

captnhook1@hotmail.com 12-26-2008 02:03 AM

Mothers Balls work great, tuffer than you would think, for a foam strip ball. Just don't tell mother you seen em, LOL

modsled 12-28-2008 05:52 PM

You guys are definitely on the right track for quick polishing. Try this one, Nevr Dull, comes in a little silver tin, a cotton like product thats full of some kind of cleaner, tear off a peice of it then add a little but of mothers polish to the nevr dull. Its awesome for a quick super shine. Then do the flour trick for quick clean up. And another trick, for a super long lasting shine, look at shark hide.
http://www.sharkhide.com/

tbirder 02-26-2009 05:32 PM

Sharkhide Metal Protectant

Quote:

Originally Posted by modsled (Post 58381)
You guys are definitely on the right track for quick polishing. Try this one, Nevr Dull, comes in a little silver tin, a cotton like product thats full of some kind of cleaner, tear off a peice of it then add a little but of mothers polish to the nevr dull. Its awesome for a quick super shine. Then do the flour trick for quick clean up. And another trick, for a super long lasting shine, look at shark hide.
http://www.sharkhide.com/

Hey there modsled,
First of all, thanks a ton for the plug.
I just want to be up front with every one. My name is Clint and I own the company that produces Sharkhide. I'm not so much here to try to sell you something as I am to show you what we can do with my products, and hopefully answer any questions you guys might have about how to use and maintain them.
Thanks again modsled,
Clint

THIS IS A PONTOON BOAT WE POLISHED WITH SHARKHIDE METAL POLISH AND THEN APPLIED A COUPLE COATS OF SHARKHIDE METAL PROTECTANT

I KNOW THIS IS NO SNOW MOBILE, BUT ALUMINUM IS ALUMINUM

Vertical_Escape 02-26-2009 06:58 PM

All that pretty polishing is great until it gets on the mountain. Or mine does anyway. I guess I must kick the shit out of my tunnel, cause I've got black marks all over where I work my feet. It'll polish out again next year, but somehow expected it to hold up better........

VanDamage007 11-25-2009 05:20 PM

Here was a fun polishing project. 76 TX440 free air engine. I have about 30 hours into it and a few cases of beer. I find it much easier to polish stuff while heavily intoxicated. Keeps the nerves cool.... http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...bbeb914d7f.jpg

Indy_500 03-02-2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VanDamage007 (Post 88176)
Here was a fun polishing project. 76 TX440 free air engine. I have about 30 hours into it and a few cases of beer. I find it much easier to polish stuff while heavily intoxicated. Keeps the nerves cool.... http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/i...bbeb914d7f.jpg

holy balls never seen a sled that shiny before:woohoo: