Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013
fanboyz1231
340 Fanner
fanboyz1231's Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi View Post
This is probably an easy fix if you make sure the long recoil spring stays in place. If your rope pulls back in, the recoil spring is fine. What you need to mess with is a very small spring that pops the catch into place. The little ratchet mechanism needs to flip out into the holes in the basket that's attached to the flywheel. Your problem is that the ratchet doesn't catch sometimes. Look at this picture:

Attachment 11694

You may need to replace #6 spring. There's also a chance that the spring and catch just need to be cleaned up and reassembled. I think the factory puts some grease on that assembly and it can get gummed up and covered with cattail fuzz over time. Even if the spring is shot it only costs $2.95.

When you pull off the recoil housing make sure the plastic pulley stays put in the housing. YOU DO NOT WANT THE RECOIL SPRING TO COME UNWOUND! Be very careful when you disassemble the ratchet mechanism. Believe me, you do not want to have to rewind your recoil spring.

Here's a link if you want to look at the whole recoil assembly: http://www.polarispartshouse.com/oem...il-starter-400
Thank you very much for your time and dedication to this forum, it truely shows the good in people still.

once again,thanks and i hope to have er going good soon