slednutz tech lounge
 

Go Back   SledNutZ > On the Snow... > Mountain Riding
Ibreakstuff Says: Time to start the snow dance!
Register FAQSled Chat Members List Casino Media Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Statistics

SledNutZ Quick Info
Friends of SledNutZ: JohnDee
GreenHulk.net PWC forums
Great Lakes Jeep Thing
Team Belly Pan Sled Forums
PEPPERMILL RENTALS IN THE YOOP! There's no where better to stay in the Rockland/Mass area!
Web hosting by Floogy

Does anyone but Vert use this area?

Mountain Riding

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 06-08-2010
cuzzinolaf's Avatar
cuzzinolaf
Hero of the Stupid
cuzzinolaf's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ILannoy
Posts: 10,255
Send a message via AIM to cuzzinolaf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lee View Post
Cuzz i think personally a 141 would rock in the west and all other riding. Might be pushing the envelope with ditches but what the fuck, you gotta fix things or ya aint having fun.
no ditches for me. I don't ride in IL or WI and keep it to the UP where the deep snow is.

I'm a snow whore.
__________________
MASM Member #1

I love squatches!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2010
Powersledder's Avatar
Powersledder
Poser
Powersledder's Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in WI
Posts: 7,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf View Post
The 153" along with 163+ HP far superior M8 made UP riding less challenging.

Pussy, do you take a crutch with you everywhere you go?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2010
Gotmud's Avatar
Gotmud
Poo Slinger
Gotmud's Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bloomingdale, Mi.
Posts: 9,425
Default

If you ever go fishing with Slanteye take some ear muffs, he uses big sticks of TNT.
__________________
Rich
"Do not go where the path may LEAD, go instead where there is no path and leave a TRAIL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi View Post
Nobody on this site likes Ski Doo except Dirty Harry, and he's better at making babies than buying or fixing sleds, so you don't want to listen to him.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2010
fgsacts's Avatar
fgsacts
Voluntary Den Mother
fgsacts's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

I will keep my 153". Is it "needed" NO, is it desired YES. I need everything I can get to keep up with all of you far superior riders with bigger balls than I (being serious). Either that or I just need to get in better physical shape which I have been saying for years. As I rapidly approach 50, I will keep by big ass track and lighter weight for the margin of error it provides me. Digging out all the time takes away some of the fun. I have enough of a challenge as it is.
__________________
Gave up sled life for salt life.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-08-2010
Brian Lee's Avatar
Brian Lee
3 holes n 3 pipes n 3 digits
Brian Lee's Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moline Il.
Posts: 605
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Lee
Default

fgsacts, ifeel the pain of "getting in better shape", i would love to be able to afford a "newer" long track sled so i could roost with the Big Dawgs. But the whole point is having fun and youngsters to be there to "help" dig you out. I dont need a tripp tripp but it sure is fun to dust those twins when the old girl stretches her leggs , Im about having fun in a plethera of locations LOL
__________________
Trust in the Father Son and Holy Ghost!
Question all others!
Mopar and Polaris!
Conservative!
Simplicity!
God!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-08-2010
fgsacts's Avatar
fgsacts
Voluntary Den Mother
fgsacts's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

Brian you need to make a trip to the Yoop this season. You will see what I mean. Nobody needs a mountain sled to ride up there but it makes it more enjoyable for me. I get stuck less therefore enjoy myself more, that's all. Not quite ready to start riding trails again, not that there is anything wrong with trail riding.
__________________
Gave up sled life for salt life.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-08-2010
Brian Lee's Avatar
Brian Lee
3 holes n 3 pipes n 3 digits
Brian Lee's Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moline Il.
Posts: 605
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Lee
Default

Im just in rare mood today. The health seems to be gettn better. Started doing some ol fashion "army" exersizing. Chasing the tarded Pit Bull helps also. I plan on getting up to the Yoop also. Trails are ok, but i like the trees, hills and forging my own way. I totally agree with ya. Buy what you like and feel the most comfortable with. Thats why i decided to extend both sleds and raise the bars ect....Yes getting stuck sucks a whole lotta ass. Its tiring and time consuming. Oh and by the way, love the avatar. John is a way cool and sorely missed. As is Waylon. Who would thunk that Willie would out last them all Go figure that smoking perserves the body LOL
__________________
Trust in the Father Son and Holy Ghost!
Question all others!
Mopar and Polaris!
Conservative!
Simplicity!
God!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-08-2010
cuzzinolaf's Avatar
cuzzinolaf
Hero of the Stupid
cuzzinolaf's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ILannoy
Posts: 10,255
Send a message via AIM to cuzzinolaf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powersledder View Post
Pussy, do you take a crutch with you everywhere you go?
I'll be the first to admit that my sled is overkill for the UP. I will say that I will thoroughly enjoy it out west though.

Stop hating and get back under Ruby's covers.
__________________
MASM Member #1

I love squatches!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-08-2010
fgsacts's Avatar
fgsacts
Voluntary Den Mother
fgsacts's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

I see things are getting back to normal.
__________________
Gave up sled life for salt life.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-08-2010
cuzzinolaf's Avatar
cuzzinolaf
Hero of the Stupid
cuzzinolaf's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ILannoy
Posts: 10,255
Send a message via AIM to cuzzinolaf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgsacts View Post
I see things are getting back to normal.
It is only because of Power's frothy fury this past weekend. We have shit to talk about and smack to talk.
__________________
MASM Member #1

I love squatches!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-08-2010
fgsacts's Avatar
fgsacts
Voluntary Den Mother
fgsacts's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,038
Default

I miss it, lol.
__________________
Gave up sled life for salt life.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-08-2010
wallygator's Avatar
wallygator
340 Fanner
wallygator's Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mn
Posts: 141
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Willie View Post
The x-12 suspention was designed for the cush ride in mind, as we all know. The reasoning behind the trenching thing, is the fact that the distance from the foot print of the track to the runnig boards is so tall, so when you hit the gas it naturaly squats all that distance down ward. Trenching is way more common with the 121 track and inexprienced riders.
I have a 121 with a M-10 and the STONES to ride it off trail (powder). It's like CW stated it's knowing your sled and the riders ability.
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand the x-12 is a falling rate suspention and the x-10 is a rising rate. In laymens terms falling rate mean the geometry of the suspention makes it softer as it compresses and vice-versa on the rising rate. I think the M-10 is a falling rate also but they have built in a progresive rate spring and an anti bottoming spring to soften the big hits
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-08-2010
Rubi's Avatar
Rubi
Boonditcher
Rubi's Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 3,617
Default

The advantage of the longtrack over the short track in climbing is that you don't need nearly as much speed to accomplish the same thing. Many places in the UP, it is very difficult for me to climb tightly treed areas because there isn't enough room to maneuver at the speeds necessary for a 121" to make the climb. It's also kind of disheartening to climb stuff where you don't have room to turn out, so the only possible outcomes are making it, or sticking it. (Not that I don't like getting stuck... sometimes I'm just too tired to enjoy the "fun" of digging out.) Out west this year, I got a lot better at turning out. I got a lot more consistent at turning out in tighter spaces, and sometimes even lucking out and nearly coming down into my track after executing the turn. We'll see if those skills crossover into Midwest short track riding, or if it's only something I can pull off in perfect ultra-deep snow.

My only problem with this old Slednutz debate is that people always discourage shorttrackers from even trying to ride in fresh unpacked snow. Holy shit man!! A 121" isn't going to turn into a pumpkin or something if the rider tries to climb a hill with untracked snow on it! Don't discourage people just because their sled isn't up to your standards for extreme offtrail riding. Look at Harry. His sled was pretty much the worst choice for the kind of riding we were doing, but I think he peeled the grin off his face long enough to admit that he had the most fun EVER on a sled that first day he rode offtrail in the UP. I'm sure Fagsex wished Harry was on a 399# XP, because he got more than his share of helping dig Stormy out, but I'm sure it was all worth it to see that goofy ogre all happy about getting to ride in some powder for once.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-08-2010
Powersledder's Avatar
Powersledder
Poser
Powersledder's Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Stuck in WI
Posts: 7,206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzinolaf View Post
It is only because of Power's frothy fury this past weekend. We have shit to talk about and smack to talk.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-08-2010
cuzzinolaf's Avatar
cuzzinolaf
Hero of the Stupid
cuzzinolaf's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ILannoy
Posts: 10,255
Send a message via AIM to cuzzinolaf
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi View Post
The advantage of the longtrack over the short track in climbing is that you don't need nearly as much speed to accomplish the same thing. Many places in the UP, it is very difficult for me to climb tightly treed areas because there isn't enough room to maneuver at the speeds necessary for a 121" to make the climb. It's also kind of disheartening to climb stuff where you don't have room to turn out, so the only possible outcomes are making it, or sticking it. (Not that I don't like getting stuck... sometimes I'm just too tired to enjoy the "fun" of digging out.) Out west this year, I got a lot better at turning out. I got a lot more consistent at turning out in tighter spaces, and sometimes even lucking out and nearly coming down into my track after executing the turn. We'll see if those skills crossover into Midwest short track riding, or if it's only something I can pull off in perfect ultra-deep snow.

My only problem with this old Slednutz debate is that people always discourage shorttrackers from even trying to ride in fresh unpacked snow. Holy shit man!! A 121" isn't going to turn into a pumpkin or something if the rider tries to climb a hill with untracked snow on it! Don't discourage people just because their sled isn't up to your standards for extreme offtrail riding. Look at Harry. His sled was pretty much the worst choice for the kind of riding we were doing, but I think he peeled the grin off his face long enough to admit that he had the most fun EVER on a sled that first day he rode offtrail in the UP. I'm sure Fagsex wished Harry was on a 399# XP, because he got more than his share of helping dig Stormy out, but I'm sure it was all worth it to see that goofy ogre all happy about getting to ride in some powder for once.
If I wasn't getting married this year and funds were more readily available I'd have a shorter track sled. I really want to get into jumping and there is no way in hell that M8 could handle a hard landing. I think I might look for a 136" for the Yoop eventually.
__________________
MASM Member #1

I love squatches!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-09-2010
Ultra Willie's Avatar
Ultra Willie
BIG STONES
Ultra Willie's Info
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia,MN
Posts: 466
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand the x-12 is a falling rate suspention and the x-10 is a rising rate. In laymens terms falling rate mean the geometry of the suspention makes it softer as it compresses and vice-versa on the rising rate. I think the M-10 is a falling rate also but they have built in a progresive rate spring and an anti bottoming spring to soften the big hits
No need! You ARE correct. Good to hear from ya Jeff!!!
I will just say that inexeperienced riders will more times than not, trench a sled no matter what they're on.
__________________
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave,but rather to slide in sideways,worn out,shouting what a fuck'n ride!!

MUD '12

Last edited by Ultra Willie : 06-09-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-09-2010
OCR's Avatar
OCR
Summer Sux!!
OCR's Info
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Groton NY
Posts: 4,642
Default

Rubi is right too!
I have no qualms about taking my 121 (wildcat aka thebeast) into any snow conditions.
Deep powder drifts or steep hills, they just present a bigger challenge.
Good throttle control and experience will get you in and out of more places than most can imagine.

I get these young kids on their 141 to 156 track sleds and they think they can highmark me in the gravel banks (nearly vertical climbs). They usually lose until a track is established. Even then I will still get over the top first most times.
__________________
Old Cat Rider

'93 Wildcat 700EFI w/ Comet 108 Pro-4 clutch & 01 ZR skid


http://twintiersleddin.proboards76.com/index.cgi


Quote:
we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys

Last edited by OCR : 06-09-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-09-2010
Brian Lee's Avatar
Brian Lee
3 holes n 3 pipes n 3 digits
Brian Lee's Info
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moline Il.
Posts: 605
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Lee
Default

A old saying comes to mind. Old age and treachery will over come youth and vigor everytime. Theres a reason Sergant Majors and General are older. They have been there and done that. They know how to gett r dun. Just my 2cents.
__________________
Trust in the Father Son and Holy Ghost!
Question all others!
Mopar and Polaris!
Conservative!
Simplicity!
God!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-11-2010
The Baller's Avatar
The Baller
Master of the Universe
The Baller's Info
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 296
Default

I rode Rubi's 121 in some pretty deep stuff this year, it was pretty good I did some stuff. I got stuck alot too though. I still suck at riding, the spot that was my nemesis two years ago still handed me my ass even with only 2" of snow on it.
__________________
Str8 Ballin'
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-13-2010
Rubi's Avatar
Rubi
Boonditcher
Rubi's Info
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Alexandria, MN
Posts: 3,617
Default

How did we manage to dig 4 1/2 foot trenches in only 2" of snow? One thing I will have to say about your nemesis area is that it is a tricky little climb...... for a girl!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 Slednutz.com