Originally Posted by Madcow
heck for 75 bucks i would have them do it instead of messing with that diamond drive. after seeing how the sled companys screw up simple engine designes i would hate to see how they can screw up a simple planetary setup.
Yea well we found out that diamond drive isnt all that hard to work on, pretty easy actually. We did find out the hard way though cuz we had the local snowmobile repair place change the track. After we got up north & unloaded the sleds it didnt make it 200 yds & it started making a grinding noise. We then drove to the nearest Arctic Cat dealer & they explained how the diamond drive splines into the driveshaft. Theres a lock collar that has to be turned & the metal balls lock into the groove on the diamond drive unit, which is basically a gearcase that bolts behind the clutch side. This is what holds the gearcase splines onto the driveshaft for the track. When they did the track, they didnt tighten the lock collar & set screw so the shaft slid & it chewed up the splines. We took it apart on the trailer & found the tore up splines. To get the diamond drive off, first the belt has to come off, then theres 1 bolt holding the clutch unit. Remove that & slide it off the splines. You will have to remove a few screws attaching the lower engine cover to tunnel to slide it off. Then remove the 5 or 6 nuts that hold the diamond drive to the sled. Then loosen the lock collar counterclockwise(with channel locks) & set screw(1/8 allen wrench). It didnt take long at all to get the diamond drive off, about 20 minutes.